1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image distance of light in parallel mirrors question

Tags:
  1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parallel mirrors that face each other are placed along and perpendicular to the x-axis at x = +7.40 m and x = -7.40 m. Assume that a point source of light is placed on the axis at x = +3.30 m. In principle, there will be an infinite number of images generated. Consider the locations of the four images of the point source with the smallest absolute values of image distance i.

Going from left to right (i.e from negative to positive), what is the x-coordinate of the left most image?
    I drew the x axis looking sort of like this:

--------|-----------|-----|-------|-------- x
    -7.4 0 3.3 7.4

I tried 18.1, but that didn't work, then I tried x=10.7 (7.4+3.3) but that didn't work either.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: a better diagram http://m.imgur.com/leGcHvs

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your 'better diagram' is unviewable.
    Let the mirrors be at +y and -y. Consider an image at position x. Where will the two reflections of that image appear?
    Once you have those two formulas, you can apply them in turn to generate a list of images.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted