Final Image position for a setup with two lenses

In summary: I don't understand what you have said. Here's my method:Light travels from left to right. Objects are positive to left of lens. Images and focus are positive to the right.In summary, the book takes the first image's distance to be +ve. The ray diagram disagrees and argues that the distance should be -ve. However, using the convention that distances measured from optical centers are +ve in the direction of propagation of the ray, this is correct.
nish95
Homework Statement
Focal length of convex lens is 20 cm and of concave lens is 40 cm. Find position of final image.
Relevant Equations
Lens formula (1/v - 1/u = 1/f)
20200902_193233[1].jpg

First image is an object for the concave lens so won't +ve direction change from right to left?! In that case, object distance will be -ve (from concave lens towards right side). Any ideas? Solution in the book takes first image's distance to be +ve. See attached ray diagram for clarification. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200902_193339[1].jpg
    20200902_193339[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200902_193600[1].jpg
    20200902_193600[1].jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
nish95 said:
Homework Statement:: Focal length of convex lens is 20 cm and of concave lens is 40 cm. Find position of final image.
Relevant Equations:: Lens formula (1/v - 1/u = 1/f)

View attachment 268761

First image is an object for the concave lens so won't +ve direction change from right to left?! In that case, object distance will be -ve (from concave lens towards right side). Any ideas? Solution in the book takes first image's distance to be +ve. See attached ray diagram for clarification. Thanks in advance!
Foe the concave lens, the object distance is negative (virtual object) : -1/20-1!v1=-1/40

nish95 said:
Relevant Equations:: Lens formula (1/v - 1/u = 1/f)
What sign conventions are you using for v and u? Apparently, u is the object distance and v is the image distance.

You need to learn how to draw a proper ray trace. Hopefully your course will require that.

I am using the convention that distances measured from optical centers are +ve in the direction of propagation of the ray and -ve if they both are opposite.

hutchphd said:
You need to learn how to draw a proper ray trace. Hopefully your course will require that.

Isn't the diagram correct? I mean rays coming from the virtual object will diverge because of the concave lens right?

ehild said:
Foe the concave lens, the object distance is negative (virtual object) : -1/20-1!v1=-1/40

Yes, that's what I did but the book has taken it to be +ve.

Have you been taught how draw a ray diagram for a thin lens? What you present is not adequate. You start with a finite object (often a "fat" arrow) and then proceed...look it up.

hutchphd said:
Have you been taught how draw a ray diagram for a thin lens? What you present is not adequate. You start with a finite object (often a "fat" arrow) and then proceed...look it up.

I get what you are saying. But that doesn't change things. I mean the concave lens produces the final image nearer to itself than the first image made by the convex lens. So, magnitude of distance of final image should be less than 20 cm.

Attachments

• 20200902_234448[1].jpg
    20200902_234448[1].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 114
nish95 said:
I am using the convention that distances measured from optical centers are +ve in the direction of propagation of the ray and -ve if they both are opposite.
OK, good. The image of the first lens is to the right of the second lens. So, for the second lens, should u = + 20 cm or should u = -20 cm?

TSny said:
OK, good. The image of the first lens is to the right of the second lens. So, for the second lens, should u = + 20 cm or should u = -20 cm?

It is to the right of the second lens. But rays have to travel backwards, that is towards the concave lens to form the final image. In that case my positive direction is right to left and distance is being measured from the optical center of the concave lens to the first image (left to right). Thus I am taking u = -20 cm, cause they are opposite.

Attachments

• 20200902_234448[1].jpg
    20200902_234448[1].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 116
nish95 said:
But rays have to travel backwards, that is towards the concave lens to form the final image.
The rays travel through the concave lens from left to right to form the final image. So, for the second lens, the rays are still traveling left to right.

The image of the first lens is to the right of the second lens. This image of the first lens is the object for the second lens. So, the distance measured from the concave lens to the object of the concave lens is in the same direction as the propagation of the rays through the lens.

Look at figure 4 here . Note how the rays are always traveling left to right. There aren't any rays traveling from right to left.

Likes nish95
nish95 said:
It is to the right of the second lens. But rays have to travel backwards, that is towards the concave lens to form the final image. In that case my positive direction is right to left and distance is being measured from the optical center of the concave lens to the first image (left to right). Thus I am taking u = -20 cm, cause they are opposite.
I don't understand what you have said. Here's my method:
Light travels from left to right. Objects are positive to left of lens. Images and focus are positive to the right.

You need to do the diverging lens with the virtual object again. Light entering parallel from the left will appear to diverge from front focus. The real image will be at +40 (right of concave lens).

TSny said:
Look at figure 4 here . Note how the rays are always traveling left to right. There aren't any rays traveling from right to left.
Edit: removed

Last edited:
ehild said:
No, you did not do that.
View attachment 268777
what are v and vI ? Are not v the object distance and vI the image distance?
-20 cm is the object distance of the concave lens.
I think the OP is using a non-standard sign convention (non-standard to me, anyway).

In the equation ##\large \frac{1}{v} - \frac{1}{u} = \frac{1}{f}##, ##u## is the object distance and ##v## is the image distance.

Also, for this equation, real objects have negative object distance while virtual objects have positive object distance! Note, for example, that the OP correctly used an object distance ##u = - 30## cm for the real object of the convex lens.

ehild said:
Yes, but the paths of the light rays are reversible. In reality, the rays travel from left to right, but you get the final image of the concave lens at the same position as if a real object was placed on the right of the lens, from where the light rays traveled from right to left.
If a real object is placed 20 cm to the right of the concave lens, then you get a virtual image 13 `1/3 cm to the right of the concave lens. But, the actual final image of this system is a real image located more than 20 cm to the right of the concave lens.

TSny said:
If a real object is placed 20 cm to the right of the concave lens, then you get a virtual image 13 `1/3 cm to the right of the concave lens. But, the actual final image of this system is a real image located more than 20 cm to the right of the concave lens.
You are right, I was confused by the signs.

ehild said:
I was confused by the signs.
Me too.

That's why I always do the blasted ray trace. I can't keep the signs straight in Newton's Laws!

Likes TSny
@nish95

If you use the equation ##\large \frac 1 v - \frac 1 u = \frac 1 f##, then you can get the correct sign for the object distance ##u## as follows:

If the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light exits the lens, then ##u## is positive.
If the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light enters the lens, then ##u## is negative.

Consider the convex lens in your system. The light travels from left to right through the lens. So, the light enters the lens on the left side and exits on the right side. The object is on the left side. So, the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light enters the lens. So, ##u## is negative. (##u = -30## cm for your problem.)

Consider the concave lens. The light still travels from left to right through this lens. However, the object of this lens is now on the right side of the lens. That is, the object is on the side of the lens where the light exits the lens. So, ##u## is positive for this case.

--------

Almost all textbooks that I've seen write the equation as ##\large \frac 1 v + \frac 1 u = \frac 1 f## with both terms on the left written with a positive sign. Then the sign convention for ##u## is opposite to the sign convention given above.

Likes nish95
TSny said:
Almost all textbooks that I've seen write the equation as ##\large \frac 1 v + \frac 1 u = \frac 1 f## with both terms on the left written with a positive sign. Then the sign convention for ##u## is opposite to the sign convention given above.
Me, too.
And just to reiterate positive values for object on source side and focus and image on "not source" side for a lens.

hutchphd said:
And just to reiterate positive values for object on source side
Yes, if the equation is written as ##\frac 1 v + \frac 1 u = \frac 1 f##.

Doing some web searching, I found that there exists "Cartesian sign conventions" for lenses. This is what the OP is using. For example, see this video.

Makes my head hurt. I'll just draw a little ray trace. I have no spare memory neurons at this point ...

Likes TSny
TSny said:
@nish95

If you use the equation ##\large \frac 1 v - \frac 1 u = \frac 1 f##, then you can get the correct sign for the object distance ##u## as follows:

If the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light exits the lens, then ##u## is positive.
If the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light enters the lens, then ##u## is negative.

Consider the convex lens in your system. The light travels from left to right through the lens. So, the light enters the lens on the left side and exits on the right side. The object is on the left side. So, the object is on the same side of the lens as the side where the light enters the lens. So, ##u## is negative. (##u = -30## cm for your problem.)

Consider the concave lens. The light still travels from left to right through this lens. However, the object of this lens is now on the right side of the lens. That is, the object is on the side of the lens where the light exits the lens. So, ##u## is positive for this case.

--------

I find the convention that you are using really simple. Don't know why my book has to complicate things!

Anyways, thanks for all the help. @TSny @hutchphd @ehild

Btw, what does OP stand for ? Also, @TSny which textbooks do you guys use for high school physics?

nish95 said:
I find the convention that you are using really simple. Don't know why my book has to complicate things!

Anyways, thanks for all the help. @TSny @hutchphd @ehild

Btw, what does OP stand for ? Also, @TSny which textbooks do you guys use for high school physics?
You are welcome. I sugggest that you stick with the sign conventions that you are using in your course for now. I don't have any recommendations for textbooks at the high school level.

Enjoy your study of physics.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the final image position in a setup with two lenses?

The final image position in a setup with two lenses is the location where the image is formed after passing through both lenses. It is the point where all the light rays from the object converge and create a clear and focused image.

2. How is the final image position calculated in a setup with two lenses?

The final image position is calculated using the thin lens equation, which takes into account the focal lengths of both lenses and the distance between them. It is given by 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the combined focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

3. What factors can affect the final image position in a setup with two lenses?

The final image position can be affected by the focal lengths of the lenses, the distance between them, and the position of the object. Additionally, any aberrations or imperfections in the lenses can also impact the final image position.

4. Can the final image position be outside the focal length of the lenses in a setup with two lenses?

Yes, the final image position can be outside the focal length of the lenses in a setup with two lenses. This is known as a virtual image, where the light rays do not actually converge but appear to come from a point behind the lens. This can occur when the object is placed within the focal length of the first lens, and the second lens acts as a magnifying glass.

5. How can the final image position be used in practical applications?

The final image position is an important concept in optics and is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also crucial in understanding and correcting for any distortions or aberrations in images produced by lenses.