1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image of a Linear Transformation

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    T2 projects orthogonally onto the xz-plane

T3 rotates clockwise through an angle of 3π/4 radians about the x axis

The point (-3, -4, -3) is first mapped by T2 and then T3. what are the coordinates of the resulting point?

this question is on a program call Calmaeth. My answer for this question is (-3,0,-√2/2). The program says its wrong but i have checked thoroughly many times and cannot find my mistake.

My transformation matrix for T2 is ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1
    \end{pmatrix}
    ## and for T3 is ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \frac{-1}{√2} & \frac{1}{√2} \\
    0 & \frac{-1}{√2} & \frac{-1}{√2}
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##
    To get the resulting standard matrix, i did T3*T2 and then multiplied this matrix by the point (-3, -4, -3) to get the resulting point.

Can anyone see where i went wrong if i did? (also to let you know, the program said my matrices for T2&T3 were correct)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method is fine. Assuming your matrices are right, it looks like you made an error with the matrix multiplication. What did you get for ##T3 * T2##?

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with jbuniii. The "-3" and "0" are correct but I do not get [itex]-\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] as the third component when I multiply your matrices.

(As a check, rather than multiplying T3*T2 first and then multiplying that by the vector, you can multiply the vector by T2 and then multiply the result by T3.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. Mar 24, 2014 #4
    How is the "0" correct?

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, only the ##-3## is correct.

Anyway, please post this in the homework forum next time! Thanks :smile:

7. Mar 25, 2014 #6
    Hi guys It was a rookie mistake on my part. I was doing [-3,-4,-3]*[standard matrix] . when i should have been doing [standard matrix]*##\begin{pmatrix}
    -3 \\
    -4 \\
    \end{pmatrix}##
    And sorry, in the future ill post in the homework section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted