Images Formed by converging mirros

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual images and their formation on a screen. The participants also mention using a candle, a converging lens, and a screen to measure the position of a virtual image. They refer to the difference between real and virtual images, and how the concept applies to a mirror or lens. The conversation concludes with appreciation for the helpfulness of the website, Hyper Physics.
jeahomgrajan

Homework Statement

I need help with this general question. Why is it impossible to focus a virtual image on a screen, ( object is placed between F and lens).

Homework Equations

this experiment we had a candle on one side, a converging lens in the middle, and at the other end a screen to tell us where the image was formed and how far away from the lens.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this forms a virtual image right, but how can i measure were the image would be on the screen (paper), is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it kinda helps thanks, but my main question is basically can i put a virtual image on a screen ( the image being a candle flame)

This is how I remember the difference between real and virtual images. Since the retina of your eye is a kind of screen, you can imagine yourself, the looker, being a screen. Light enters the eye and you see an object. Where is that object really located? The rays that enter the eye came from a particular direction. Extrapolate those lines back to a point. That point is where it appears to you that the object is located. But did the light really originate from that point, did the light really pass through that point in space? If it did, we call it a real image. If the light never really came from there, it's a virtual image. That's why the image of my face in a flat mirror is a virtual image - because if I take the rays that enter my eye and extrapolate them back, it looks as though the light originated from that imaginary guy who seems to be inside the wall - but i know the light never really passed through that point deep inside the wall. The rule is the same for a curved mirror or for a lens. The question is always: did the light really leave the location where it seems to be coming from? Yes: real image. No: virtual image.

Alright thanks guys, helped alot

the hyper physics site is amazing

1. How do converging mirrors form images?

Converging mirrors, also known as convex mirrors, form images by reflecting light rays that converge towards a focal point. The reflected rays then create an inverted, magnified image of the object placed in front of the mirror.

2. What type of images are formed by converging mirrors?

Converging mirrors form virtual, upright, and magnified images. This means that the image is not actually present behind the mirror, it appears upright compared to the object, and it is larger than the object.

3. How does the distance of an object from a converging mirror affect the image formed?

The distance of an object from a converging mirror affects the size and location of the image formed. When the object is placed closer to the mirror, the image becomes larger and moves closer to the mirror's focal point. Conversely, when the object is placed farther from the mirror, the image becomes smaller and moves away from the focal point.

4. What is the focal length of a converging mirror?

The focal length of a converging mirror is the distance between the mirror's surface and its focal point. It is usually denoted by the symbol "f" and is equal to half the radius of curvature of the mirror.

5. How can I determine the location and size of an image formed by a converging mirror?

To determine the location and size of an image formed by a converging mirror, you can use the mirror equation: 1/v + 1/u = 1/f, where v is the image distance, u is the object distance, and f is the focal length. You can also use the magnification equation: M = -v/u, where M is the magnification of the image.