1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnification of an Image formed by a converging lens

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A converging lens with a focal length of 14.2 cm is used to inspect a coin. The lens forms a virtual image 30.1 cm away. What is the magnification?

2. Relevant equations
    (1/Si) + (1/So) = (1/f)
    M = (hi/ho) = (-Si/So)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1/So = 1/f - 1/Si

1/(1/So) = So = 26.88cm

M = (-Si/So) = -30.1/26.88 = 1.12

I'm pretty sure that I have the solution and answer correct, but I just wanted to double check. This homework is online and the site is telling me that I have the answer wrong and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything before I bother my teacher about it. As of right now I think it's just an error in the code of the site, but I'm just double checking. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you accounted for the fact that it's a virtual image?

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

This object [the coin] is placed inside the focus [giving a virtual image] so some/all of those distances may be negative.
    I am never confident with that (1/Si) + (1/So) = (1/f) formula, so I always use a couple of alternates, and a ray diagram.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your notes or your textbook. There are specific rules for deciding on the signs of the various quantities.

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    Ah, right, I forgot about the signs. Looks like the summer off has made me a little rusty. I just accounted for the signs and got the right answer. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook