1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of images formed by 3 mutually perpendicular plane mirrors

1. Jun 3, 2006 #1
    1)The 2 adjacent walls and the ceiling of a rectangular room are mirror surfaced.What is the number of images of himself does an observer sees?
    If it was the case of 2 mirrors I know it is 3. But here there are 3 mirrors which are mutually perpendicular. But if we take 2 mirrors at a time then the total number of images is 9. What do you say Sir/Madam?
    2)A convergent beam of light is incident on a convex mirror of radius of curvature 60 cm as shown in figure. What is the nature and position of the image formed by it?
    I solved it in the following way:
    Let u, v and f be the object distance, image distance and focal length of the convex mirror respectively.
    Here u = + 10 cm, f = +30 cm
    1/u + 1/v = 1/f
    v = (uf)/(u-f)
    = (10 x 30)/(10 – 30)
    = -15 cm
    Hence the image formed is virtual and 15 cm in front of the mirror. Is it right?
    3)A convex mirror of focal length f produces an image (1/n)th of the size of the object. What is the distance of the object from the mirror?
    I solved it in the following way:
    Magnification = 1/n = -(v/u)
    i.e. v = -(u/n)
    1/u + 1/v = 1/f
    1/u – (n/u) = 1/f
    By solving I get,
    u = (1-n)f
    Are my sign conventions right? Sometimes the diagram may not be clear. So I will try to describe the diagram. A convergent beam of light serves as a virtual object which appears to converge at a distance of 10 cm behind the mirror.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

On question -1-, I would guess that you get one additional image at the corner of the 3 planes. Since it is a cube corner, you should get a reflection from it back to you in the middle of the room. I don't know if it's a real image, though. Have to try it or else do some ray tracing sketching to figure that out. So you'd get the 3 reflections from the planes, the 2 reflections from the 2 edges, and the 1 from the corner. Is a total of 6 the correct answer for question -1-?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?