Impact of a Bullet into a Block

In summary, a 12g bullet is fired into an 87.8g block of wood at rest on a horizontal surface. After impact, the block slides 9.8m before coming to rest. The coefficient of friction between the surface and the block is .5 and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. To find the speed of the bullet before impact, we can use the work-energy theorem to find the velocity of the mass-bullet system immediately after impact and then apply the principle of conservation of momentum. The final answer is 81.5033 m/s.
Destructo_Dav
So I checked out the physics class I was taking on ratemyprofessor.com and John Ross was the guy who was teaching it. He had good reviews, so I figured I'll take his class. Well, a TA is teaching it, and I won't name the person, but he isn't really a teacher--even with his PhD in astrophysics. Needless to say, I'll probably be needing quite a bit of help. Thanks in advance for anyone who does help.

Homework Statement

A 12g bullet is fired in a 87.8g block of wood at rest on a horizontal surface and stays inside. After impact, the block slides 9.8m before coming to rest. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

If the coefficient of friction between the surface and the block is .5, find the speed of the bullet before impact.

Answer: 81.5033 m/s

Homework Equations

Normal Force = mg
Work = Distance * Force
Another one with velocity in the variable

The Attempt at a Solution

The farthest I got was finding the frictional force that opposes the motion of the block.

Normal Force = (.012+.0878)(9.8) = .97804 in the upward direction
Friction Force = (.5)(.97804) = .48902

I suppose I could turn that into work, which would be:

Work = (.48902)(9.8) = 4.79240 in the westward direction

That gives me the force that opposes the motion of the block, but I don't think that gets me anywhere closer to the velocity. This is where I am stuck, and although I know the answer, I will have to know how to do this for the test. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, good so far. Now find the velocity of the mass-bullet system immediately after impact by using the work-energy theorem . Then it's conservation of momentum.

1. What factors affect the impact of a bullet into a block?

The impact of a bullet into a block can be affected by several factors such as the size and shape of the bullet, the speed and angle at which it hits the block, and the material and density of the block.

2. How does the velocity of the bullet affect the impact?

The velocity of the bullet plays a crucial role in determining the impact. A higher velocity will result in a greater force of impact, causing more damage to the block. However, at extremely high velocities, the bullet may disintegrate upon impact, reducing the overall impact force.

3. What happens to the bullet upon impact?

Upon impact, the bullet experiences a sudden deceleration due to the force of the block. This causes the bullet to deform or break apart, transferring its kinetic energy to the block in the form of heat and sound.

4. How does the density of the block affect the impact?

The density of the block plays a significant role in determining the impact of a bullet. A denser block will absorb more energy from the bullet, resulting in a larger impact force. On the other hand, a less dense block may not be able to absorb as much energy, resulting in a smaller impact force.

5. Can the impact of a bullet into a block be accurately predicted?

While there are mathematical models and simulations that can predict the impact of a bullet into a block, it is challenging to accurately predict the exact outcome. The impact can be affected by various factors, and a slight change in any of these factors can significantly alter the result.