Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impact of economies collapse on global society

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7659086.stm

I was wondering how this will affect the humans' migration and global culture (authority too) etc. It seems like China is getting ahead and migration flow will be reversed. I don't have enough data and knowledge to make any predictions but for sure there will be lot of interesting changes.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Apparently some illegal aliens and migrants have returned from the US to Mexico and other countries because of the economic downturn. Other than that, I don't see massive changes in migration patterns.

What does need to be addressed is the gross disparity in incomes in all the countries affected.

For the US, the military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan must draw to a peaceful resolution as much as possible and as soon as possible. The US government cannot continue to finance the wars at current levels without significant damage to the economy.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

Astronuc

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    This CNN video discusses whether the economic downturn has an effect on Polish immigration into the UK.

This one says that India's IT sector is expecting a downturn because a third of their business is from financial companies. That's probably good for the U.S. IT sector, which is pretty dependent on immigration of IT professionals from places like India and China; we aren't very good at producing IT talent domestically.

7. Oct 8, 2008 #6

Astronuc

I get calls periodically from India, most likely Bangalore, inquiring about my business/office, yellow pages and an offer for a website. :rolleyes: I politely decline. They also don't like giving out information, and I am not about to deal with someone who is not being forthcoming or forthright.

8. Oct 8, 2008 #7
    Huh. I hadn't heard of that kind of stuff - Indian businesses directly marketing to the U.S. that way - but it makes sense that someone would try.

Another good reason not to do that is that if there's some sort of serious dispute you could wind up facing a need to go to court in India. That's one factor (among many) that prevents there being more outsourcing overseas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?