Impact parameter dependence of classical scattering angle

In summary, the problem is to find the classical turning point as a function of the impact parameter b for the Lennard-Jones potential. The equations for the potential and effective potential are given, but it is difficult to solve for r as a function of b due to the high degree polynomial involved. The exercise suggests using a computer program to plot the roots and find the functional behavior of r(b).
otg

Homework Statement

The problem is to get the classical turning point as a function of the impact parameter b for the Lennard-Jones potential.

Homework Equations

The Lennard-Jones potential is given as [itex]V(r)=4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6][\itex].
The effective potential is [itex]V_{eff}(r)=V(r)+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}[\itex].
Also, [itex]\frac{m}{2}\dot{r}+V_{eff}(r)=E[\itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the turning point occurs when [itex]\dot{r}=0[\itex], we have that [itex]4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6]+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}=E[\itex]. Even though [itex]\sigma,\,\epsilon\,\text{and }\,E[\itex] are given, I find it quite hard if not impossible to solve the equation to get [itex]r(b)[\itex]. There has to be some other way even if this was the indicated strategy.

The exercise says that the equation [itex]V_{eff}(r)=E[\itex] can be rewritten as a polynomial and solved with a computer program, but since it becomes (at least that's what I get) a twelve degree polynomial in [itex]r[\itex] it's not possible to get a decent answer.

Grateful for any kind of help how to proceed. And also how to get the latex working in the posts...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
otg said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to get the classical turning point as a function of the impact parameter b for the Lennard-Jones potential.

Homework Equations

The Lennard-Jones potential is given as [itex]V(r)=4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6][/itex].
The effective potential is [itex]V_{eff}(r)=V(r)+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}[/itex].
Also, [itex]\frac{m}{2}\dot{r}+V_{eff}(r)=E[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the turning point occurs when [itex]\dot{r}=0[/itex], we have that [itex]4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6]+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}=E[/itex]. Even though [itex]\sigma,\,\epsilon\,\text{and }\,E[/itex] are given, I find it quite hard if not impossible to solve the equation to get [itex]r(b)[/itex]. There has to be some other way even if this was the indicated strategy.

The exercise says that the equation [itex]V_{eff}(r)=E[/itex] can be rewritten as a polynomial and solved with a computer program, but since it becomes (at least that's what I get) a twelve degree polynomial in [itex]r[/itex] it's not possible to get a decent answer.

Grateful for any kind of help how to proceed. And also how to get the latex working in the posts...
use / sign not \ after ending( i don't think there is a simple way)

andrien said:
use / sign not \ after ending( i don't think there is a simple way)

ha ha ok my fingers must've gone into LaTeX mode :)

To reply on my own post then, no there is no simple way, I think I interpreted the question "solve for r as function of b" as "find an expression" but the task was as simple as plot the roots to find the functional behavior. Thanx for pointing out the /-thing though (probably would have worked next time without me knowing what went wrong) :)

1. What is the impact parameter in classical scattering angle?

The impact parameter is the perpendicular distance between the path of a particle and the center of the scattering potential. It is a crucial parameter in classical scattering theory that determines the trajectory and final scattering angle of a particle.

2. How does the impact parameter affect the classical scattering angle?

The impact parameter has a direct relationship with the classical scattering angle. As the impact parameter increases, the scattering angle decreases. This is because a larger impact parameter indicates a more tangential approach to the scattering potential, resulting in a smaller deflection angle.

3. What is the significance of studying the impact parameter dependence of classical scattering angle?

Studying the impact parameter dependence allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a scattering process. It helps us to determine the probability of a particle being scattered at a particular angle and how the scattering potential affects the trajectory of a particle.

4. How is the impact parameter related to the cross section of a scattering process?

The impact parameter is directly related to the cross section of a scattering process. The cross section is a measure of the effective area of interaction between the particle and the scattering potential, and the impact parameter determines this area. As the impact parameter increases, the cross section also increases, indicating a higher chance of scattering.

5. Can the impact parameter dependence of classical scattering angle be applied to other types of scattering processes?

Yes, the concept of impact parameter dependence can be applied to various types of scattering processes, including elastic, inelastic, and Rutherford scattering. However, the specific equations and parameters may differ depending on the type of scattering being studied.