1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impact parameter dependence of classical scattering angle

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1

otg

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is to get the classical turning point as a function of the impact parameter b for the Lennard-Jones potential.

2. Relevant equations
    The Lennard-Jones potential is given as [itex]V(r)=4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6][\itex].
    The effective potential is [itex]V_{eff}(r)=V(r)+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}[\itex].
    Also, [itex]\frac{m}{2}\dot{r}+V_{eff}(r)=E[\itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the turning point occurs when [itex]\dot{r}=0[\itex], we have that [itex]4\epsilon[(\frac{\sigma}{r})^{12}-(\frac{\sigma}{r})^6]+E\frac{b^2}{r^2}=E[\itex]. Even though [itex]\sigma,\,\epsilon\,\text{and }\,E[\itex] are given, I find it quite hard if not impossible to solve the equation to get [itex]r(b)[\itex]. There has to be some other way even if this was the indicated strategy.

The exercise says that the equation [itex]V_{eff}(r)=E[\itex] can be rewritten as a polynomial and solved with a computer program, but since it becomes (at least that's what I get) a twelve degree polynomial in [itex]r[\itex] it's not possible to get a decent answer.

Grateful for any kind of help how to proceed. And also how to get the latex working in the posts...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2
    use / sign not \ after ending( i don't think there is a simple way)

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3

otg

ha ha ok my fingers must've gone into LaTeX mode :)

To reply on my own post then, no there is no simple way, I think I interpreted the question "solve for r as function of b" as "find an expression" but the task was as simple as plot the roots to find the functional behavior. Thanx for pointing out the /-thing though (probably would have worked next time without me knowing what went wrong) :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook