Impedance matching a ZVS power supply to a DIY pipe heater

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
EzeTom
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi folks,

I want to build a heater similar to this http://www.thermon.com/us/products.aspx?prodid=10 , using a ZVS power supply from ebay (such as this one -http://[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/381569526996?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]www.ebay.com/itm/381569526996?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/URL]) )

As well I would like to replace the inner conductor with another "pipe" to try to effectively double the wattage per foot of heating available.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to the math and theory behind ensuring I can impedance match my load to one of these power supplies? Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you searched the internet for analyses of skin effect in cylinders? You should find plenty. The expressions are in terms of Bessel functions. You'll need to know the frequency of your source. It's unclear exactly what the company in your link is doing, but I imagine that the center conductor is contributing given that there's no current flowing on the outside of the shield.
 
Thanks for the reply.

I've googled quite a bit of stuff,, but I am a mechanical guy in the electrical world and sometimes feel a bit lost :)
 
marcusl said:
The expressions are in terms of Bessel functions.
EzeTom said:
Im a mechanical guy in the electrical world
How do you feel about Bessel functions?

J/K.

If you're not an electrical guy, maybe you should consider partnering up with a local one, or just buying a standard unit? We don't want you to get hurt or start a fire...
 
berkeman said:
How do you feel about Bessel functions?

J/K.

If you're not an electrical guy, maybe you should consider partnering up with a local one, or just buying a standard unit? We don't want you to get hurt or start a fire...

Thanks Berkman :)

I don't think I will start a fire or electrocute myself : ) and hopefully I don't let the smoke out of anything!

I just want to make sure I can match the load of my heater with the output of the ZVS driver from eBay reasonably well..