What is the impedance of a tank circuit at resonance?

In summary, the impedance of this circuit can be determined by calculating the inverse of the admittance, which is found by subtracting the inverse of the product of the angular frequency (w) and the capacitance (C) from the inverse of the product of w and the inductance (L). When w = 1/sqrt(LC), the impedance becomes infinite due to the current in the capacitor and inductor being out of phase.
drumercalzone

Homework Statement

btSCjl.jpg

a) Determine the impedance of this circuit.
b) What is the impedance when [itex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have part a:
[tex] Z = j({\omega}C - \frac{1}{{\omega}C}) [/tex]

EDIT: I got the Z wrong. It's [tex] Z = \frac{L}{C(j{\omega}L - \frac{j}{{\omega}C})} [/tex]

[STRIKE]For part b, I'm getting that Z = 0 simply by substituting in [itex]\omega[/itex].
Is this correct? [/STRIKE]

This gives an impedance of [itex]\infty[/itex]

I feel more confident is this answer. I'm guessing that the current in the capacitor and inductor are out of phase by [itex]\pi[/itex] causing what appears to be an infinite impedance. I'm still curious as to the exact reason though, if anyone could lend help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Y = jwC - j/wL = j(wC - 1/wL) = j(w^2LC - 1)/wL

Z= 1/Y = jwL/(1 - w^2LC)

1. What is a tank circuit?

A tank circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a capacitor and an inductor in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release energy at a specific resonant frequency.

2. What is impedance in a tank circuit?

Impedance in a tank circuit refers to the overall opposition to current flow caused by the inductor and capacitor in the circuit. It is a combination of resistance and reactance, which is the opposition to current flow caused by the inductor and capacitor, respectively.

3. How is impedance calculated in a tank circuit?

The formula for calculating impedance in a tank circuit is Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

4. What is the significance of impedance in a tank circuit?

Impedance in a tank circuit is important because it determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. At the resonant frequency, the impedance in a tank circuit is at its minimum, allowing for maximum current flow. This is why tank circuits are often used in radio frequency and audio frequency applications.

5. How does the impedance of a tank circuit affect its performance?

The impedance of a tank circuit directly affects its performance as it determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. A higher impedance means less current can flow through the circuit, while a lower impedance allows for more current flow. This can impact the efficiency and stability of the circuit at different frequencies.