1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implementing the PSD from its definition

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    I would be grateful for some direction on this.

I wish to implement the following -
    Given a deterministic signal (the feedback signal of a closed-loop stable system) I would like to plot the power spectral density.
    The definition I am working with is this:

upload_2015-1-19_20-0-26.png

Implementation (MATLAB):

% Given a signal the plot of the power spectral density over the frequency range 0.1-5 rad/s is given by
    % The continuous time fourier transform

upload_2015-1-19_20-4-34.png

w=.1:.1:5; % 0.1 to 5 rad/s (frequency range of interest)

% Compute the transform
    for ii=1:50 % For each frequency increment (50 samples over the interval 0.1:0.1:5)

yy1=um.*sin(w(ii)*t) % where t is a vector of dimension [1, 3610] and um is the time series in question
    yy2=um.*cos(w(ii)*t) %

% the intergral
    yi1=trapz(t,yy1);
    yi2=trapz(t,yy2);

% square of the fourier transform i.e. |X(omega)|^2
    trans(ii)=(yi1^2+yi2^2);

end

figure(1)
    plot(w, trans) % |X(omega)|^2

upload_2015-1-19_20-13-33.png

% For a deterministic signal no need to compute the expected value, the power of the signal is instead given by

upload_2015-1-19_20-9-0.png

% Energy: integral of the square of the Fourier transform wrt to frequency
    energy = trapz(w, trans);
    figure(2)
    plot(w,energy) % sadly things have gone awry HERE!

upload_2015-1-19_20-14-39.png

% Power
    power = energy / t(end); % where t(end) is the duration of the signal in question
    figure(3)
    plot(w, power)
    The PSD should be a real valued nonnegative function of omega not a constant. Any prompts would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy of a signal is a single number - a scalar. It is not a function of frequency. After all you integrated over frequency already in order to compute it! Look at numel(energy) and you should see that it is has 1 element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook