Implications of Symmetry and Pressure in Friedmann Cosmology

In summary, a recent paper discusses the concept of cosmological backreaction and how it relates to the appearance of a dark energy-like source term in cosmological models. The authors claim to have resolved an ambiguity in these models and argue that the only significant contributors to this term are objects with relativistic densities, such as neutron stars. However, there are some potential issues with their argument and it is unclear if this effect is significant enough to explain the accelerated expansion of the universe. Further discussion and analysis is needed to fully understand the implications of this paper.
TL;DR Summary
A recently published paper claims that a source term that looks like dark energy naturally appears when spatial inhomogeneity is taken into account in cosmological models. Is this claim valid?
The thread title is the title of a recently published paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ab32da
The paper claims to resolve an ambiguity in "cosmological backreaction" models, which are models that take into account spatial inhomogeneity to derive correction terms to the homogeneous and isotropic FRW spacetime model. The paper says that cosmological backreaction will appear as an effective source term with ##p = - \rho##, i.e., a source that looks just like dark energy. However, I'm not sure I follow all of the steps of the argument, and some of the steps look to me like they might be questionable. I'm wondering if any experts can comment on this paper and on "cosmological backreaction" in general.

Space news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
Summary: A recently published paper claims that a source term that looks like dark energy naturally appears when spatial inhomogeneity is taken into account in cosmological models. Is this claim valid?

The thread title is the title of a recently published paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ab32da
The paper claims to resolve an ambiguity in "cosmological backreaction" models, which are models that take into account spatial inhomogeneity to derive correction terms to the homogeneous and isotropic FRW spacetime model. The paper says that cosmological backreaction will appear as an effective source term with ##p = - \rho##, i.e., a source that looks just like dark energy. However, I'm not sure I follow all of the steps of the argument, and some of the steps look to me like they might be questionable. I'm wondering if any experts can comment on this paper and on "cosmological backreaction" in general.
It seems weird for sure. The result of their model is that the only significant contributions to a cosmological pressure term are objects with relativistic densities like neutron stars. They also claim that any stress-energy that contributes to the cosmological stress-energy must itself evolve cosmologically. This seems to me to be a hand-wavy attempt to argue against the obvious objection to this proposal: if cosmological expansion were a function of the number of neutron stars, why does it behave in such a regular manner? I'm pretty sure their conclusion that these terms must evolve cosmologically are a result of their parameterization, not some fundamental fact (the truth of this statement would require that the higher-order terms they ignore to not contribute at all to the evolution of the lower-order terms, which is patently incorrect due to the nonlinearity of the Einstein equations, and I don't think they've proven any sort of symmetry that would force it to be true even accounting for that).

They also don't seem to present any argument for what the precise magnitude of this effect should be given known neutron star sources.

My guess is that this will turn out to be a real effect, but not one that has any real possibility of explaining the accelerated expansion. It may be too small to impact the expansion to any measurable degree, or it might do it at a few percent level. But at least on the surface it seems unlikely to be a major factor.

kimbyd said:
The result of their model is that the only significant contributions to a cosmological pressure term are objects with relativistic densities like neutron stars.

Those actually aren't the main contributors in their view, as far as I can tell, because they contribute positive pressure, not negative, so they would not produce an effect that looked like dark energy anyway. The main contributors in their view appear to be GEODEs (Generalized Objects of Dark Energy), which would have ##p = - \rho##, but which raise other issues that I have opened a separate thread to discuss:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/generic-objects-of-dark-energy.977293/

1. What is the significance of symmetry in Friedmann Cosmology?

The concept of symmetry plays a crucial role in Friedmann Cosmology as it allows us to make predictions about the structure and behavior of the universe. Symmetry refers to the idea that the universe looks the same from every point in space, which leads to the assumption that the laws of physics are also the same everywhere in the universe.

2. How does pressure affect the evolution of the universe in Friedmann Cosmology?

In Friedmann Cosmology, pressure is one of the key factors that determines the dynamics of the universe. High pressure within the universe causes it to expand at a faster rate, while low pressure can lead to a deceleration of expansion. Additionally, pressure also influences the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, which in turn affects the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

3. What are the implications of symmetry and pressure on the formation of large-scale structures in the universe?

The combination of symmetry and pressure in Friedmann Cosmology results in the formation of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxies, clusters, and superclusters. The symmetry of the universe allows for the formation of these structures, while pressure determines their distribution and evolution over time.

4. How does symmetry and pressure impact the expansion rate of the universe in Friedmann Cosmology?

The symmetry and pressure of the universe have a direct influence on the expansion rate of the universe. The symmetry of the universe leads to a uniform expansion, while pressure can either accelerate or decelerate this expansion. This interplay between symmetry and pressure ultimately determines the overall expansion rate of the universe.

5. Can symmetry and pressure explain the current state of the universe in Friedmann Cosmology?

Yes, the concepts of symmetry and pressure are essential in understanding the current state of the universe in Friedmann Cosmology. These factors, along with other parameters such as dark matter and dark energy, help to explain the observed expansion rate, large-scale structures, and other phenomena in the universe.