Implicit 'higher' differentiation

In summary, to find the second order partial derivative of an implicit function, you can use the chain rule property and differentiate twice with respect to the given variable, solving for the desired derivative in terms of the function and its first order partial derivative.
City88
Hi,
I'm working on a cal III problem involving implicit differentiation.
I have to find the second order partial derivative of an implicit function, basically:
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f
[tex]\partial[/tex]x2

now, I know that for a single order [tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x, I would simply use the chain rule property:
[tex]\partial[/tex]f = -[tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]x
[tex]\partial[/tex]x ... [tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]f

But now, how would I find
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f
[tex]\partial[/tex]x2
for an implicit equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the implicit function you are given?

City88 said:
Hi,
I'm working on a cal III problem involving implicit differentiation.
I have to find the second order partial derivative of an implicit function, basically:
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f
[tex]\partial[/tex]x2

now, I know that for a single order [tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x, I would simply use the chain rule property:
[tex]\partial[/tex]f = -[tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]x
[tex]\partial[/tex]x ... [tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]f

But now, how would I find
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f
[tex]\partial[/tex]x2
for an implicit equation?

Do the same thing again. For example, if the function were z, given by 3xz+ yez= 1, then the partial derivative, with respect to x, would be given by 3z+ 3xzx+ yezzx= 0.

Differentiating that a second time, with respect to x, 3zx+ 3zx+ 3xzxx+ yez(zx)2+ yezzxx= 0.

You can solve that for zxx in terms of x, y, z, and zx.

What is implicit 'higher' differentiation?

Implicit 'higher' differentiation refers to the process of finding the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly, meaning that it is not explicitly written in terms of its independent variable. This technique is often used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for the dependent variable explicitly.

How is implicit 'higher' differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is that explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is written explicitly in terms of its independent variable, while implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly.

What are the steps involved in implicit 'higher' differentiation?

The steps involved in implicit 'higher' differentiation are as follows: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. 2) Collect the terms with the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation. 3) Solve for the derivative of the dependent variable. 4) Simplify and simplify the expression if necessary.

What are some applications of implicit 'higher' differentiation?

Implicit 'higher' differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to find the rate of change of a function when it is not possible to solve for the dependent variable explicitly. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in implicit 'higher' differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid in implicit 'higher' differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, not simplifying the resulting expression, and not clearly labeling the derivative of the dependent variable. It is also important to check for any potential extraneous solutions when solving for the derivative.