Implicit Differentiation: Differentiating in Terms of X

In summary, Mark44 has shown that if you have an equation in which y is a function of x, and you want to find the derivative of y with respect to x, you can do so by differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to x and solving for y.
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm having some trouble with the terminology used in calculus.

My book states: "Fortunately we don't need to solve an equation for Y in terms of X in order to find the derivative of Y. Instead we can use the method of implicit differentiation. This consists of differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to X and then solving the resulting equation for Y'."

And: "In the examples and exercises of this section it is always assumed that the given equation determines Y implicitly as a differentiable function of X so that the method of implicit differentiation can be applied."

I don't quite understand what they are telling me here. What does "differentiating with respect to X" and "Y as a differentiable function of X" mean?

If it helps explain the above, here's an example equation from the section: X2+Y2 = 25

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
If it helps explain the above, here's an example equation from the section: X2+Y2 = 25
Differentiating with respect to x means applying the ##\frac d {dx}## operator. If we differentiate both sides of the equation wrt x, we get:
##\frac d {dx} (x^2 + y^2) = \frac d {dx} 25##
##\Rightarrow \frac d {dx} x^2 + \frac d {dx} y^2 = 0##
##\Rightarrow 2x + \frac d {dx} y^2 = 0##

To differentiate y2 with respect to x, we need to use the chain rule, something you asked about in a previous thread.
## \frac d {dx} y^2 = \frac d {dy} y^2 \frac{dy}{dx} = 2y \frac {dy}{dx} = 2y * y'##

Last edited by a moderator:
So "differentiating Y2 with respect to X" just means we are doing F'(x)?

Thinking more about the second question, I'm guessing that "Y as a differentiable function of X" means that Y = F(x) where F(x) is a differentiable function?

Drakkith said:
So "differentiating Y2 with respect to X" just means we are doing F'(x)?
No. You don't "do" F'(x).
F'(x) is a thing (a noun). Differentiating is an action (a verb).

F'(x) is what you get by differentiating F(x). IOW, ##\frac d {dx} F(x) = F'(x)##.
Drakkith said:
Thinking more about the second question, I'm guessing that "Y as a differentiable function of X" means that Y = F(x) where F(x) is a differentiable function?
Sort of, but you don't need F there. if y is a differentiable function of x, then dy/dx exists.

Alright, thanks Mark.

Drakkith said:
I'm having some trouble with the terminology used in calculus.

My book states: "Fortunately we don't need to solve an equation for Y in terms of X in order to find the derivative of Y. Instead we can use the method of implicit differentiation. This consists of differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to X and then solving the resulting equation for Y'. " [...]

Taking your sample equation, there are two routes by which you can find ##\frac {dy} {dx}##

Method 1: re-arrange the equation to isolate y on one side by itself,

##y\ =\ ±\sqrt{25\ -\ x^2}##

and now differentiate both side with respect to x. (This is the method you most likely would have used.)

Method 2: don't rearrange the equation; keep it as just as it is and differentiate both sides with respect to x. Mark44 has demonstrated Method 2, though hasn't finished it to the point of expressing dy/dx as a function of x only (because often this last step is not necessary). But perhaps as an exercise you could complete it, to show dy/dx as a function of x only. The final answer will be the same as for method 1. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rentiating-in-terms-of-x.805803/#post-5058053

The reason your textbook implies that Method 2 is easier/shorter may not yet be apparent. But if your task were to determine the value of ##\frac {dy} {dx}## at a given point, say (3,-4), then Method 2 may turn out easier. For more complicated equations it generally will.

If you're still having trouble, then perhaps replace ##y## with ##f(x)## and do what you usually do.

So if you have ##x^2 + y^2 = 2##. Then you should see it as ##x^2 + f(x)^2 =2##. Then differentiate both sides to get ##2x + 2f(x)f^\prime(x) = 0##.

By the way, if you're like me and often forget the quotient rule, then you can do it with implicit differentiation. So if ##f(x) = \frac{F(x)}{G(x)}##. Then rewrite it as ##f(x)G(x) = F(x)##. Differentiate both sides to get ##f^\prime(x)G(x) + f(x)G^\prime(x) = F^\prime(x)##. Isolate ##f^\prime(x)## to get

[tex]f^\prime(x) = \frac{F^\prime(x) - f(x)G^\prime(x)}{G(x)}= \frac{F^\prime(x) - \frac{F(x)}{G(x)} G^\prime(x)}{G(x)} = \frac{ F^\prime(x)G(x) - F(x)G^\prime(x)}{G(x)^2}.[/tex]

So you can rediscover the formula like this, or just apply it to a special case. Like if you have ##f(x) = \frac{x^2 + 1}{2x}##, then just differentiate both sides ##2xf(x) = x^2 + 1##.

Likes nuuskur
Thanks guys. After doing more of these problems it's a little clearer on what's going on.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that cannot be easily expressed in terms of x. It involves treating the dependent variable as a function of x and using the chain rule to differentiate.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the function cannot be easily manipulated into a form where the dependent variable is explicitly expressed in terms of x. This often occurs when the function is defined implicitly, such as in equations or curves.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, treat the dependent variable as a function of x and differentiate both sides of the equation using the chain rule. The resulting equation will be in terms of the dependent variable and its derivative.

4. What is the advantage of using implicit differentiation?

The advantage of implicit differentiation is that it allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to manipulate it into a specific form. This can be useful when the function is complex or difficult to manipulate.

5. Can implicit differentiation be used for all functions?

No, implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that are defined implicitly and cannot be easily manipulated into a form where the dependent variable is explicitly expressed in terms of x. Functions that are explicitly defined can be differentiated using the standard rules of differentiation.