Importance of school prestige if you're NOT pursuing physics careers?

In summary, the person is currently a physics major at a California community college and is planning to transfer for the Fall 2013 semester. They are not aiming for top 20 prestigious schools, as they are not planning to pursue physics as a career. They were inspired by their high school science teacher to teach high school science, specifically physics and chemistry. The person does not plan on going to graduate school for physics, but may pursue a graduate degree in education. They are considering the marketability of their degree and whether attending a top 20 program or a lesser known school will affect their job prospects. It has been observed that the reputation of one's undergraduate institution does not have a significant impact on graduate school admissions, and many smaller schools actually
skwissgaar
I'm currently in my last semester at a California CC and am transferring for the Fall 2013 semester as a physics major. I've gotten into some well respectable schools, however not name brand top 20 prestige status. I'm not looking to pursue physics as a career, I'm majoring in the subject because I had an amazing high school science teacher that made me want to teach high school science as well, namely physics and chemistry.

I don't plan to go on to grad school in physics. Knowing this, will the college I attend be an issue as I won't be attending any top 20 programs? Will employers see my physics degree as not "equivalent" to a physics degree from a name brand school?

I do plan on attending grad school, although it will most likely be in education.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you are not planning to go to graduate school. I would recommend doing engineering physics or a major with more marketability at the bachelors level.

jesse73 said:
If you are not planning to go to graduate school. I would recommend doing engineering physics or a major with more marketability at the bachelors level.

I strongly second this. Unless you really want to become an educator with the additional certification it entails.

As far as I've seen, undergrad reputation doesn't really matter much in grad school admissions, this has been very documented. A lot of lesser known liberal arts schools produce more phd candidates than big famous state schools in the US. I got waitlisted at a top 20 from a foreign undergrad institution I'm willing to bet less than 5 people on this forum have heard of.

I've also seen school name does matter a lot in real world jobs, and your actual degree matters MUCH less.

1. What is the importance of school prestige if you're not pursuing a career in physics?

The importance of school prestige extends beyond just the field of physics. In any career, attending a prestigious school can provide a strong foundation and open doors for future opportunities. It can also offer access to top-notch resources, faculty, and networking opportunities.

2. Does school prestige only matter for physics careers?

No, school prestige can be important in all fields. While it may hold more weight in certain industries, such as finance or law, attending a prestigious school can benefit individuals in any career by providing a strong education and valuable connections.

3. How does school prestige impact job prospects in non-physics fields?

Attending a prestigious school can enhance job prospects in non-physics fields by demonstrating a strong academic background and work ethic. It can also make a candidate stand out among other applicants and show that they are capable of excelling in a competitive environment.

4. Is it worth attending a prestigious school for non-physics careers?

While attending a prestigious school may come with a higher price tag, the long-term benefits and opportunities it can provide can make it worth the investment. However, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all factors, such as financial aid and personal fit, before making a decision.

5. Are there any alternatives to attending a prestigious school for non-physics careers?

Attending a prestigious school is not the only path to success in non-physics careers. There are other factors, such as internships, networking, and relevant experience, that can also play a significant role in job prospects. It is important to find a balance between school prestige and practical experience to achieve career goals.