1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of school prestige if you're NOT pursuing physics careers?

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    I'm currently in my last semester at a California CC and am transferring for the Fall 2013 semester as a physics major. I've gotten into some well respectable schools, however not name brand top 20 prestige status. I'm not looking to pursue physics as a career, I'm majoring in the subject because I had an amazing high school science teacher that made me want to teach high school science as well, namely physics and chemistry.

I don't plan to go on to grad school in physics. Knowing this, will the college I attend be an issue as I won't be attending any top 20 programs? Will employers see my physics degree as not "equivalent" to a physics degree from a name brand school?

I do plan on attending grad school, although it will most likely be in education.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2
    Re: Importance of school prestige if you're NOT pursuing physics caree

If you are not planning to go to graduate school. I would recommend doing engineering physics or a major with more marketability at the bachelors level.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    Re: Importance of school prestige if you're NOT pursuing physics caree

I strongly second this. Unless you really want to become an educator with the additional certification it entails.

As far as I've seen, undergrad reputation doesn't really matter much in grad school admissions, this has been very documented. A lot of lesser known liberal arts schools produce more phd candidates than big famous state schools in the US. I got waitlisted at a top 20 from a foreign undergrad institution I'm willing to bet less than 5 people on this forum have heard of.

I've also seen school name does matter a lot in real world jobs, and your actual degree matters MUCH less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook