Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Important discoveries in HEP, experimental

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    I was wonder what you felt the important experimental discoveries in high energy physics over the past twenty five years have been? This is a subject I'm not familiar with and would like to do a bit of reading on my own.

For instance, I imagine the possible mass of the neutrino would be on the list.

If there is a site or thread I should reference please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Off the top of my head, the discovery of the top quark and the discovery of the W and Z vector bosons.

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply, Zapperz
  5. Jan 21, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

How about the (so far) non-discovery of proton decay? There were some high-profile experiments looking for this in the 1980s, and there was some disappointment when they didn't find anything.
  6. Jan 26, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neutrino oscillations. It was the only real "surprise" as far as I know (meaning, not really totally expected when discovered).

I agree with jtbell that the only other "surprise" was the unexpected stability of the proton.

All the other discoveries were expected discoveries, with sometimes only the "mass parameter" or something of the kind only roughly known before actual discovery.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?