Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Important reminder! register that phone# against telemarketers!

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1
    Cell Numbers Going Public

JUST A REMINDER, on January 18, 2006 cell phone numbers are being
    released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale
    calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS!

These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up
    costing you money in the long run. To prevent this, You can register online at: http://www.donotcall.gov. It will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2006 #2
    Thanks I just did mine, and it took less then a minute!

4. Jan 2, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You've been had, its a hoax.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm

5. Jan 2, 2006 #4
    eh gads! why would someone hoax that? I had been meaning to do my home phone anyways, so I'm still glad I did it.

6. Jan 2, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

To annoy gravenewworld.

7. Jan 2, 2006 #6
    oh, then it is for a good cause.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #7
    ahh but the telemarketers are allowed to dial #'s by hand...

9. Jan 2, 2006 #8

DM

How on earth can this happen?! Telemarketing companies CALL YOU and yet we pay for these calls? I'm somewhat stupified!

How on God's name can our law not protect us from these ridiculous services? In fact how can our law not enshrine a simple policy clearly stating that companies conducting these marketing services have to warn people beforehand that they are being charged? This is completely preposterous!

10. Jan 2, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that's a model of efficiency.... I'm pretty sure they'll stick to the auto-dialers and just exclude the 500 people who actually were smart enough to exclude their #'s.

11. Jan 2, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The telemarketers aren't charging you. Some companies (the OP didn't mention that this only happens to certain cell plans) count minutes against your cell phone plan if someone else calls you, no matter who it is. Most plans however, no longer charge you for incoming calls.

12. Jan 2, 2006 #11

DM

This is a little bit vague. Do you mind simplifying your explanation?

gravenewworld mentioned:
    If telemarketers "eat up" my free minutes and end up costing me money, how many free minutes do I have before they begin charging me?

For the sake of comprehension can you also clarify what is meant by "free minutes"?

Apologies for the burden

13. Jan 2, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well when you get a cell phone, you have a certain "plan" with your provider. You can say have a simple plan that allows you 500 minutes to talk for $10 a month or you have plans where you pay $.05 per minute. One of the characteristics of plans are whether or not you pay for when someone else calls you. When you buy minutes or have a plan, those minutes are normally the time you talk when YOU call someone else. Some plans, however, have those minutes to include calls you make plus calls made TO you.

With this telemarketer thing, the idea is that if they call you (even though duh, you can just hang up on them and waste what, 1 minute?) and you have a plan that charges you or deducts minutes from your account when someone else calls you, you will start to lose minutes. If they call hundreds of times, you'll end up going over your allotted minutes and start incurring rather high fees (for example, if you go over that 500 minute limit in the plan I made up, you might be paying $.25 a minute for every minute over the 500 limit). If you have a plan that charges per minute and also charges whether your the reciever or sender, you'll be paying for the minutes used when telemarketers make.

Theres no such thing as "free minutes" either. You're paying for those minutes by buying the plan. What it probably is referring to is the types of plans where you have a certain number (like the 500 in the plan i made up) of minutes that you bought for $10 or whatever. Those 500 minutes are "free" in the sense that you can use them or not use them and it will have no effect on your $10/month bill. If they call enough and eat away enough of those "free minutes", you start going into the >500 minute rate which does start adding to your bill.

14. Jan 2, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One may buy a certain amount of 'free' minutes per month, e.g. 500 or 1000 free minutes, for a fixed monthly fee. If one exceeds that limit, additional charges (usually at a higher rate) are incurred.

Also, some plans 'roll-over' unused minutes, and one should look for plans with roll-over. Free minutes may expire at the end of the year, so pay attention.

Also, some plans have free calling with other users on the same network and/or calling plan.

15. Jan 2, 2006 #14

DM

I think I finally understand it.

I'm presuming this doesn't happen with home phones, only cell phones, right?

16. Jan 2, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Right, but an increasing number of people are using cells as their only phones, eschewing land-lines, and thus don't have the luxury of just shutting the things off to avoid unwanted calls.

17. Jan 2, 2006 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

DM, it's a HOAX, no telemarketers are going to call your cell phone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?