Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Improbability of the Many-Worlds Interpretation?

1. Mar 5, 2017 #1

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

If the MWI would be true, wouldn't there be at least one reality where human civilization advanced much faster than we did and therefore: contacted all other universes; destroyed all the universes; colonized all other universes; etc.

Since, as far as we know, this has not happened, doesn't this make the MWI improbable?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2017 #2
    As far as I know, most and maybe all MWI proposals have the different worlds causally disconnected.
    So whatever goes on in world A can never affect events in world B.
    No matter how advanced a civilization may be, it simply isn't possible for it do anything to entities in a hypothetical alternate timeline.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not quite comparable, but it reminds me of a comic about an alien race so technologically advance that they can travel from the comic book to the real world. Now, that would be scary.

5. Mar 6, 2017 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I understand MWI, there is no expectation that all permutations of nature exist. For example, there is no guarantee that there is a world in which I became the US President in 2017. Accordingly, there would be no guarantee that the advanced civilization you imagine exists.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #5
    These "other universes" are not other places, but other possibilities. How do you colonize another possibility?

7. Mar 6, 2017 #6

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

If there is a reasonable possibility some other universe—a place—exists, it might be possible to colonize it. No?

Has it been proved that traveling to another universe is impossible? I'm just a layman with a question. I'm not defending my theory or anything. It just seems to me, if traveling to another universe hasn't been disproved, it might be possible.

8. Mar 6, 2017 #7
    I think one reason for it to be impossible could be conservation of energy: if one copy of you goes to A and another copy to B, then, if A travels to B, there would be two copies in one universe for instance.

9. Mar 6, 2017 #8

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since no one has proved that there are any other universes to travel to yet, it might be difficult to prove it can't be done.

But regardless: you misunderstand scientific theory if you think that it's about imagining something and then doing it. As a general rule, the purpose is not to think up things you can disprove. Rather: Theory is a useful description of some pattern which applies to some scope.

10. Mar 6, 2017 #9

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are assuming such is possible. In the MW interpretation its not possible to contact the other worlds.

Thanks
    Bill

11. Mar 6, 2017 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course not - but the theory pretty much says they are separate and remain so without delving into the details.

Basically MW is an interpretive thing. After decoherence you have a number of possible outcomes. MW interprets those outcomes as separate worlds - that they cant communicate is pretty much implied by defining what they are. Does it prove it - of course not - the definition doesn't say that - but it would seem at odds with its intent.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted