Improve Your Door Bell Circuit with These Simple Tips

• Thread starter Ali Inam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, a 555 timer IC can be used to make a simple door bell, but the intructer wants you to modify it so that the buzzer buzzes after a certain amount of time, rather than immediately. You can find the formula for this on Wikipedia. Additionally, if you have another 555 timer IC, it can be used to create a delay before the buzzer oscillator starts.
Ali Inam
Hi guys, today I made this simple form of door bell. It is working perfectly, there is a simple push button, which on pushing, enables the buzzer to buzz on sufficient voltage.

But, when I showed my circuit to my intructer, he asked me to modify it in such a way so that when I push the button, it should wait for 2 to 3 seconds before it buzzes.

Any idea how I may do it ? Any new IC to be implemented ? or should I change the values of the capacitors which I am using in my circuit ?

I changed the resistor values using the formula which is demostrated on the wikipedia portion of the 555 IC, but it was of no use.

Please help...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RpOfkmvmO...h_jjP8N0/s400/simple+electronic+door+bell.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ali Inam said:
Hi guys, today I made this simple form of door bell. It is working perfectly, there is a simple push button, which on pushing, enables the buzzer to buzz on sufficient voltage.

But, when I showed my circuit to my intructer, he asked me to modify it in such a way so that when I push the button, it should wait for 2 to 3 seconds before it buzzes.

Any idea how I may do it ? Any new IC to be implemented ? or should I change the values of the capacitors which I am using in my circuit ?

I changed the resistor values using the formula which is demostrated on the wikipedia portion of the 555 IC, but it was of no use.

Please help...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RpOfkmvmO...h_jjP8N0/s400/simple+electronic+door+bell.JPG

This is for school, so we are not going to give you a solution. However, we can give you hints...

What other functions can a 555 IC perform, other than just oscillator? If you added a 2nd 555 IC, could you use it to make a delay before enabling the buzzer oscillator?

Essentially what he is asking you to do is operate the NE555 IC in what is called monostable mode - basically it only starts 'timing' when it gets a certain input signal. The wikipedia article is fairly helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC#Monostable_mode

Basically, set your R and C to the correct time amount: 2 seconds is a long time and may require a pretty huge capacitor.

So you mean that I will have to use the formula which is available on wikipedia

t = RC ln (3) ??

and from this, I will try to get t=2 by changing the values of the resistors and the capacitors ?

And berkemen, you mean that if I connect another IC with my circuit then it will be able to develop a sort of delay in its functioning ?

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which electricity can flow. It typically consists of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors connected by conductive materials.

2. Why do I need help with my circuit?

Circuits can be complex and require a deep understanding of electrical principles and components. It is common to encounter difficulties when designing or troubleshooting a circuit, which is why seeking help from an expert or experienced individual can be beneficial.

3. How do I troubleshoot my circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, start by checking the connections and components for any loose or faulty parts. Use a multimeter to test for continuity and measure voltage and current. If the issue is not obvious, you may need to refer to circuit diagrams or seek help from someone with more experience.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when working with circuits?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with circuits include using incorrect components, connecting components in the wrong order, and not following proper safety precautions. It is also essential to double-check connections and measurements to avoid errors.

5. How do I improve the performance of my circuit?

To improve the performance of a circuit, you can try using higher quality components, reducing the length of wires, and minimizing interference from other electronic devices. You may also need to adjust the design or consider using alternative components to optimize the circuit's functionality.