Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improving problem solving skills?

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    I'm a 4th year undergraduate physics major and I've realized too much of my college career have I just tried to get to the answer, copy example patterns, and look for a systematic way to solve problems. I realize this will get me nowhere; problem solving is where the physics fun is!

What sort of mental process do you go about when approaching problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2
    1.Read question
    2.Think very hard
    3.Write down the answer

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That only works when your name is Richard Feynman.

IMO, experience and practice in solving problems is what makes you better at solving problems.

5. Oct 12, 2007 #4
    You mean problems can't be solved by just thinking unless your name is Richard Feynman? :P (I know, the original quote is about Richard Feynman. :-p)

6. Oct 12, 2007 #5
    You mention problem solving and right away people think "Feynman".

My take on why he was so good at it was his attitude: he actually wanted to understand things to satisfy his own curiosity. He didn't view any of the myriad puzzles he solved during his life as "problems": irritating tasks to be fought with. To him all that kind of stuff was exiting, even exhilarating.

I am not sure a person can adopt that attitude artificially in order to be good at physics or math. The curiosity and exitement have to be natural.

7. Oct 13, 2007 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Try chess. It opens your mind to all logical possibilities. It also exposes the chinks in your logical armor and humbles you. Can't ask much more from a simple game.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?