Improving my problem solving skills....

In summary, a physics student has completed their 4th year of a physics degree and wants to improve their problem-solving skills. They have decided to work through all the problems in David Morin's Classical Mechanics textbook, but are wondering if they should focus on more "modern" topics like quantum mechanics and general relativity. They believe that classical mechanics skills are transferable to these topics and would like to hear others' opinions on the matter.
MadAtom
Hi everybody!

I've just finished my 4th year of physics degree (1st year of the masters degree, to be more exact) and I feel that I've spent most of my time reading theory and studying proofs and very few time on actual problem solving. In order to change that, I decided this summer go through all of David Morin Classical Mechanics textbook problems.

The problems are fine and I am having a lot of fun working on them, but I wonder if I shouldn't instead improve my problem solving on more "modern" topics such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Let me remind you that I've already had classical mechanics courses (2 actually), and I am only looking to get more comfortable with problems. Are the skills that I am going get from classical mechanics problems really... useful, transferable in some way? I am almost convinced that the answer is yes (I have a very romantic opinion about CM) but I'd like to ear what you think. Thanks in advance.

MA

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, many classical mathematics techniques have migrated into QM and GR. That’s why they taught the Lagrangian and then the Hamiltonian techniques as a precursor to learning QM.

1. How can I improve my critical thinking skills?

Improving critical thinking skills involves actively questioning and analyzing information, evaluating evidence, and considering different perspectives. To improve, you can practice problem-solving activities, engage in debates and discussions, and seek out diverse sources of information. Additionally, focusing on logic and reasoning, and being open-minded and curious can also help improve critical thinking skills.

2. What strategies can I use to become a better problem solver?

Some strategies that can help improve problem-solving skills include breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, using brainstorming techniques to generate ideas, considering alternative solutions, and seeking feedback from others. Additionally, keeping a positive attitude and being persistent in finding solutions can also be helpful.

3. How can I develop better decision-making skills?

To improve decision-making skills, it can be helpful to gather and analyze relevant information, consider potential consequences, weigh the pros and cons, and consult with others if needed. Additionally, reflecting on past decisions and learning from mistakes can also aid in the development of better decision-making skills.

4. Are there any exercises or activities that can help me improve my problem-solving skills?

Yes, there are many exercises and activities that can help improve problem-solving skills. Some examples include solving puzzles and brain teasers, participating in role-playing scenarios, and engaging in group problem-solving activities. Additionally, practicing creative thinking and actively seeking out new challenges can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.

5. How can I overcome mental blocks or obstacles when trying to solve a problem?

To overcome mental blocks or obstacles, it can be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Additionally, engaging in activities that stimulate creativity, such as drawing or writing, can help generate new ideas. Seeking feedback and advice from others can also provide new insights and help overcome mental blocks.