• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Improving my problem solving skills...

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everybody!

I've just finished my 4th year of physics degree (1st year of the masters degree, to be more exact) and I feel that I've spent most of my time reading theory and studying proofs and very few time on actual problem solving. In order to change that, I decided this summer go through all of David Morin Classical Mechanics textbook problems.

The problems are fine and I am having a lot of fun working on them, but I wonder if I shouldn't instead improve my problem solving on more "modern" topics such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Let me remind you that I've already had classical mechanics courses (2 actually), and I am only looking to get more comfortable with problems. Are the skills that I am going get from classical mechanics problems really... useful, transferable in some way? I am almost convinced that the answer is yes (I have a very romantic opinion about CM) but I'd like to ear what you think. Thanks in advance.

MA

Answers and Replies

Of course, many classical mathematics techniques have migrated into QM and GR. That’s why they taught the Lagrangian and then the Hamiltonian techniques as a precursor to learning QM.