Impulse Engine (Drive) ....a stupid question?

In summary, when you swing a rock around yourself to generate a centripetal force, the rock moves away from you at a proportional speed.
infinitrode
Recently, I've been watching a lot of those youtube videos debunking gyroscopic propulsion because everything about it violates the second law of motion or something...

This got me thinking, if I was floating in space and I decided to swing a large rock on a rope around me, to generate some centripetal force on the rock, then let go of the rope (it's a really long rope and I'm attached to the slack), I'm assuming it would just float away from me given the centripetal force. Now, since I'm attached to the rope, and given Newton's second law, I would be able to pull my self a significant distance given the mass and velocity of the rock. Correct?

Assuming this is correct, would something similar to this effect be possible on the quantum level with electrons and magnetic fields or something?

Science news on Phys.org
You move some distance, to rock moves in the opposite direction. At some point the rope does not allow more motion, you and the rock are stopped (in the frame of your original position) and you end up with exactly the same speed as before. Yes you moved a bit, but the rock did that as well, if you pull it back you end up in the same position as you started.

infinitrode said:
Assuming this is correct, would something similar to this effect be possible on the quantum level with electrons and magnetic fields or something?
You can move around everything with energy, but I don't see the point. You cannot change your velocity, and you cannot even permanently change your position (in your rest frame) by a relevant amount.

mfb said:
You move some distance, to rock moves in the opposite direction. At some point the rope does not allow more motion, you and the rock are stopped (in the frame of your original position) and you end up with exactly the same speed as before. Yes you moved a bit, but the rock did that as well, if you pull it back you end up in the same position as you started.

You can move around everything with energy, but I don't see the point. You cannot change your velocity, and you cannot even permanently change your position (in your rest frame) by a relevant amount.
Dang it, you're right. My first thought was that the amount of energy expended in generating a large centripetal force should transfer to distance gained when I pull on the rope after I let it go, but instead, after you let it go, you traveled in the opposite direction at a proportional speed. Thanks.

1. What is an Impulse Engine (Drive) and how does it work?

An Impulse Engine (Drive) is a type of propulsion system used in science fiction that allows spacecraft to travel at high speeds. It works by converting energy into thrust, which propels the spacecraft forward. This energy can come from various sources, such as nuclear fusion or antimatter reactions.

2. Can an Impulse Engine (Drive) actually exist in real life?

Currently, there is no technology that can replicate the capabilities of an Impulse Engine (Drive) as seen in science fiction. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new propulsion systems that could potentially allow for faster space travel in the future.

3. How fast can an Impulse Engine (Drive) make a spacecraft travel?

The speed at which an Impulse Engine (Drive) can make a spacecraft travel depends on the power and efficiency of the engine. In science fiction, it is often portrayed as being able to achieve speeds faster than the speed of light, but in reality, this is not possible according to the laws of physics.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an Impulse Engine (Drive)?

One advantage of an Impulse Engine (Drive) is that it allows for faster space travel, which could potentially open up new possibilities for exploration and colonization. However, one major disadvantage is that it requires a large amount of energy to operate, making it costly and potentially unsustainable.

5. Are there any current projects or technologies that are similar to an Impulse Engine (Drive)?

There are several proposed technologies that could potentially have similar capabilities to an Impulse Engine (Drive), such as solar sails, ion thrusters, and nuclear pulse propulsion. However, these technologies are still in the early stages of development and have not been fully realized yet.