Identifying Impulse Response Function from State Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around the state equations of a system, with confusion over the representation of the equations and the identification of the impulse response function. The main question is whether the impulse response function of the system is C(e^(At))B or not, and if not, how to identify it from the given state equations. The conversation also clarifies the variables used in the equations, with x being the state variable, u being the input, and y being the output.
khedira
Hi,

given the state equations of a system,

x(dot) = Ax + Bu
y = Cx

is the impulse response function of this system C(e^(At))B? If not, how can i identify the impulse response from a given state equations? Please advise. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
khedira said:
Hi,

given the state equations of a system,

x(dot) = Ax + Bu
y = Cx

is the impulse response function of this system C(e^(At))B? If not, how can i identify the impulse response from a given state equations? Please advise. Thank you.
What you have written makes no sense. I recognize that "x(dot)" is the derivative of x with respect to t but do you mean to have a "dot" next to the y in the next line? And what is "u"? Was that supposed to be y?

That is, is the problem really
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= Ax+ By[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= Cx[/tex]
?

HallsofIvy said:
What you have written makes no sense. I recognize that "x(dot)" is the derivative of x with respect to t but do you mean to have a "dot" next to the y in the next line? And what is "u"? Was that supposed to be y?

That is, is the problem really
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= Ax+ By[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= Cx[/tex]
?

Oh so sorry, i thought what i have given is the general representation of a state space equation, where x is the state variable, u is the input and y is the output. and yes, "x(dot)" is the derivative of x with respect to t but y is just y.

1. What is an Impulse Response Function (IRF)?

An Impulse Response Function is a mathematical tool used in signal processing to measure how a system responds to a brief input, or "impulse". It is typically represented graphically as a curve or function that shows the output of the system over time in response to the impulse.

2. How is an Impulse Response Function measured?

An Impulse Response Function can be measured by sending a short, high-energy pulse through the system and recording the output. This can be done using various techniques such as acoustic measurements, electrical measurements, or imaging techniques.

3. What is the significance of an Impulse Response Function?

The Impulse Response Function is a useful tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of a system. It can provide information about the system's characteristics, such as its frequency response, time delay, and distortion. It is also used in various applications, including audio and video processing, room acoustics, and image restoration.

4. How is an Impulse Response Function different from a Frequency Response Function?

An Impulse Response Function and a Frequency Response Function both provide information about a system's behavior. However, they measure different aspects of the system. The Impulse Response Function shows the system's response over time, while the Frequency Response Function shows the system's response at different frequencies.

5. How is an Impulse Response Function used in system identification?

An Impulse Response Function is commonly used in system identification, which is the process of determining a mathematical model that describes a system's behavior. By measuring the Impulse Response Function of a system, the parameters of the system's model can be estimated, allowing for prediction and control of the system's behavior.