Impulse-steel ball dropped on steel slab

• Thread starter herbally
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Steel
In summary, the problem is to calculate the impulse of a steel ball that is dropped from a height of 2.00 m and rebounds to a height of 1.60 m. Using conservation of energy, the initial velocity before the collision is found to be -6.26 m/s. The final velocity after the collision is 5.6 m/s, resulting in an impulse of -0.0264 N*s. However, this is incorrect as momentum and velocity are vector quantities. The correct impulse is actually 0.47 N*s, found by taking the difference between the final and initial momentums, taking into account the direction of the initial velocity.
herbally
1. Homework Statement

mass of steel ball = 40g = .04 kg
h1 = 2.00 m
h2 = 1.60 m
A steel ball is dropped from height of 2.00 m onto horizontal steel slab, rebounds to height of 1.60m. Calculate impulse of ball during impact.

2. Homework Equations

impulse J = F*dt
J = P2 - P1
K0 + U0 + Wother = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get velocities using conservation of energy in two steps; from drop to impact; from impact to rebound.

.04kg(9.8m/s2)(2m) = 1/2(.04kg)v2
v = 6.26m/s

1/2(.04kg)v2 = .04kg(9.8m/s2)(1.6m)
v = 5.6m/s

then I used ΔP = .04kg(5.6m/s - 6.26m/s) = -.0264

Book shows answer to be .47N*s

Not sure where I'm botching this up. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Herbally. This is a common problem that is easy to slip up on. Remember that momentum and velocity are vector quantities (with direction). If you take upward as the positive direction, then what is the sign of the initial velocity (momentum) just before the collision?

Naturally the initial velocity is negative. I'm failing to see the correlation. Then again, I've been doing physics for about 3 hours straight so all the numbers are beginning to run together.

Perhaps another nudge? Thanks.

WOW. NM. I'm rum-dumb at this point. I got it. Thanks a ton.

OK. So, the initial velocity is -6.26 m/s. You will have to subtract this negative number from 5.6 m/s. What is 5.6-(-6.26)? [Edit: I see you got it! Great!]

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the time it is applied.

2. How is impulse related to the steel ball and steel slab experiment?

In the experiment, the impulse is the force of the steel ball hitting the steel slab multiplied by the time it takes for the ball to come to a stop. This can be used to calculate the change in momentum of the ball.

3. What factors affect the impulse in this experiment?

The force of the steel ball, the time it takes for the ball to come to a stop, and the materials of the steel ball and steel slab can all affect the impulse in this experiment. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. How does the impulse affect the motion of the steel ball?

The impulse causes a change in the momentum of the steel ball, which affects its motion. If the impulse is large, the ball will have a greater change in momentum and will travel further. If the impulse is small, the ball will have a smaller change in momentum and will not travel as far.

5. What is the significance of studying the impulse-steel ball experiment?

Studying this experiment helps us understand the principles of impulse and momentum, which are important concepts in physics. It also allows us to investigate the effects of different factors on impulse and how they can impact the motion of objects. This knowledge can be applied to real-world situations, such as in engineering and sports.