In a certain region of space, the electric field E is uniform.

In summary, in a region of space where the electric field is uniform, the charge density is zero. This can be explained by considering an infinitely large area, where the resulting density would be zero. However, if there is a charge present, the field would not be uniform due to the distortion caused by the charge. In a region with no charge, the field may not necessarily be uniform as the charge may be located outside of the region.
xxaznitex

Homework Statement

In a certain region of space, the electric field E/vec is uniform.
Why is the charge density in this region zero?
Assume in a region of space where there is no charge, must E/vec be uniform?

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know why a uniform electric field makes the charge density zero... The only thing that I know I could do would be to make this "area" so large (to infinity) that the resulting density would be zero. Can anyone explain to me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was a charge would the field be uniform?

No because the charge would cause a distortion of the field?

That would be my thinking.

What about a region with no charge? Must the field be uniform?

Hmm, I would say no, because the charge can be right outside the area with no charge..?

xxaznitex said:
Hmm, I would say no, because the charge can be right outside the area with no charge..?

Precisely.

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is one where the magnitude and direction of the electric field is constant throughout the region of space. This means that the electric field lines are equally spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field can be created by two parallel plates with opposite charges, also known as a capacitor. The electric field between the plates is constant and uniform.

3. What is the direction of a uniform electric field?

The direction of a uniform electric field is determined by the direction of the electric field lines. In a uniform electric field, the direction of the electric field lines is always perpendicular to the surface of the charged object.

4. How is the strength of a uniform electric field measured?

The strength of a uniform electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force per unit charge that would be experienced by a test charge placed in the electric field.

5. Can a uniform electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, a uniform electric field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, electric fields in a vacuum are often used in experiments and devices such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.