In a certain region of space, the electric field E is uniform.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 10K views
xxaznitex
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In a certain region of space, the electric field E/vec is uniform.
Why is the charge density in this region zero?
Assume in a region of space where there is no charge, must E/vec be uniform?

Homework Equations



Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't really know why a uniform electric field makes the charge density zero... The only thing that I know I could do would be to make this "area" so large (to infinity) that the resulting density would be zero. Can anyone explain to me why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No because the charge would cause a distortion of the field?
 
That would be my thinking.

What about a region with no charge? Must the field be uniform?
 
Hmm, I would say no, because the charge can be right outside the area with no charge..?
 
xxaznitex said:
Hmm, I would say no, because the charge can be right outside the area with no charge..?

Precisely.