Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In bcc lattice why XRD 100 peak is not observed ?

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1
    Can someone tell me that in bcc lattice why xrd 100 peak does not appear???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The planes passing through the base atoms are a/2 away from the planes passing through the planes defined by the atoms on the edge of the cell. And is only a shifted copy of the latter. Hence it will reflect x rays exactly as does one of the edge planes and you get destructive interference.

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    If you calculate the structure factor of the BCC lattice using:
    $$S(hkl)=f{1+exp[-i\pi(h+k+l)]}$$, where f= form factor. The value o f S is zero when the exponential has the value -1, which is whenever the argument is: -i*pi* (odd integer).
    So we have:
    S=0 when h+k+l= odd integer
    S=2f when h+k+l= even integer
    So therefore the diffraction pattern does not contain these planes: (100), (300), (111), (221)
    But it occurs for fx.: (200), (110), (222)

The (100) reflection occurs when reflections from the planes that bound the cubic cell differ in phase by 2*pi. In BCC there is an intervening plane of atoms, which is equal to in scattering power to the other planes. Situated between them it gives a reflection retarded in phase by pi w.r.t. the first plane, thereby cancelling the contribution from that plane. So the cancellation occurs since the planes are identical in composition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted