In desperate need of help with this statically indeterminable problem

• Thread starter Chelsiukas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of the human leg in a given position, specifically finding the force exerted at point C. Equations of static equilibrium are used and unknowns include Bx, By, N, Ax, Mb, Mc, and F. The conversation also addresses a mistake in labeling the body parts.
Chelsiukas

Homework Statement

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5648/fbds.png

Basically I am analysing the human leg in the given position. I need to find the force (F) which is exerted at point C, when the person is in such a position. Point B represents a "pin connection" at the ankle, body AB is the shin, BC - the thigh. All masses and distances are known.

Homework Equations

These are the main equations of static equilibrium for the two bodies.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6118/equilibriums.png

Unknowns: Bx,By,N,Ax,Mb,Mc,F.

The Attempt at a Solution

That was my attempt, I am not looking for a numerical solution, just some help with how should I continue... If this truly is a statically indeterminable problem, I don't think that the method of superposition or other deviation related methods could help... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Even if it includes pointing out a stupid mistake of mine.. :D Thanks, guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Point B represents a "pin connection" at the ankle, body AB is the shin, BC - the thigh."

If B is the ankle and AB the shin, how can BC be the thigh?

Omg, stupid mistake, sorry. A is the pin joint.

1. What is a statically indeterminable problem?

A statically indeterminable problem is a type of engineering or physics problem that cannot be solved using traditional methods due to a lack of sufficient information or constraints. In these problems, there are too many unknown variables for a unique solution to be found.

2. How do you approach a statically indeterminable problem?

The first step in approaching a statically indeterminable problem is to identify and list all the known information and constraints. Then, it is important to analyze the problem and determine which variables are indeterminate. From there, various techniques such as the method of sections or the principle of virtual work can be used to solve the problem.

3. What are some common examples of statically indeterminable problems?

Some common examples of statically indeterminable problems include truss structures, beams with multiple supports, and frames with hinges. These types of problems often require more advanced analysis techniques, such as the slope-deflection method or the moment distribution method, to find a solution.

4. How do you know if a problem is statically indeterminable?

A problem is considered statically indeterminable if there are more unknown forces or moments than the number of equations of equilibrium available. This can be determined by counting the number of unknowns and comparing it to the number of available equations.

5. What are some strategies for solving a statically indeterminable problem?

Some strategies for solving a statically indeterminable problem include using the method of sections, the principle of virtual work, or advanced analysis techniques such as the slope-deflection method or the moment distribution method. Additionally, simplifying the problem by assuming certain conditions or using iterative methods can also be helpful.