1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In desperate need of help with this statically indeterminable problem

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5648/fbds.png [Broken]

Basically I am analysing the human leg in the given position. I need to find the force (F) which is exerted at point C, when the person is in such a position. Point B represents a "pin connection" at the ankle, body AB is the shin, BC - the thigh. All masses and distances are known.

2. Relevant equations

These are the main equations of static equilibrium for the two bodies.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6118/equilibriums.png [Broken]

Unknowns: Bx,By,N,Ax,Mb,Mc,F.

3. The attempt at a solution

That was my attempt, I am not looking for a numerical solution, just some help with how should I continue... If this truly is a statically indeterminable problem, I don't think that the method of superposition or other deviation related methods could help... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Even if it includes pointing out a stupid mistake of mine.. :D Thanks, guys!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2
    "Point B represents a "pin connection" at the ankle, body AB is the shin, BC - the thigh."

If B is the ankle and AB the shin, how can BC be the thigh?

4. Dec 17, 2011 #3
    Omg, stupid mistake, sorry. A is the pin joint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook