In graduate school for electrical engineering classes over my head

In summary: It will help you a lot.In summary, the protagonist graduated with a BS in EE in 2008 and went straight into a PhD program with full funding. After one year, he decided to take a leave of absence and find a job, but was unsuccessful. He returned to the same grad school a second time and worked as a process engineer for six months before deciding to leave again. This time, he decided to go back to the same grad school for a third time, but is struggling with classes that are too difficult for him. He is considering a masters degree instead, but is worried about the amount of debt he will incur. He recommends talking to your adviser, doing some self examination, and reading the book "The Power of Intention"
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I graduated in undergrad in May 2008 with a BS in EE. I went directly into a PhD program with full funding. I put in a year and did decent in my classes and my research. But I didn't enjoy my research and I wasn't doing as well in my classes as I had hoped. I decided to take a leave of absence and find a job and work for a year. Well, I couldn't find a job so a yer later I went back to the same grad school. I was only half funded this time and I had to pay for half my tuition and half my living expenses. I hated my research when I returned and I thought my classes required too much writing so I left again. I also got really depressed which was a factor. The second time I left I worked for 6 months as a process engineer at a small company. I did not like the work I was doing and the pay was pretty low so I decided to leave and go back to the same grad school for the third time (I know, stupid).

Now I am finding that the classes I signed up for are waaay over my head. I am taking analog and digital integrated circuits classes. The labs require cadence, which I have never used before, and the homework is over my head already and it's just the second week of class. Also, I don't have any funding this time around so I will be going deeper in debt (about 30K worth of debt for the year putting me at a total of 60K).

I want to commit to just a masters and maybe do the PhD if I do well in my classes (I will need to find a research group though).

I thought I'd try doing integrated circuit design which I thought would be more interesting than device physics, which is what my concentration was before. However, I am finding that I am simply not prepared for these classes. They are just way over my head.

So my question is, is a masters really worth it if I am going to go into 30K more debt for it? I don't even know if I can do this. I really wanted a job in the semiconductor industry and my undergrad program did not really cover semiconductor devices and circuits at all so I decided to go to a different school for grad school.

It is my dream to get a PhD and become a professor but I just don't think I have the capability to finish this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I guess I just needed to vent to someone.

Venting is good. It can be quite cathartic sometimes.

I suggest talking to your adviser. You can also try talking to some of your professors if you feel comfortable doing so. Try to find out if you should choose a more appropriate topic of study for your current skill set. Find out what tutoring is available. Find out what topics you really need to focus on in your current schedule of classes so that you can spend less time on extraneous topics while you study.

I also suggest going (back) to the financial aid department to try to find some scholarships. That amount of debt will make it hard for you to sleep at night.

My final piece of advice (which you should take first) is to do some really careful self examination. Really ask yourself why you keep coming back to school. Is it something you love? Is it for the money when you graduate? Are you trying to prove something? Are you fulfilling someone else's wishes? Then figure out if that reason is worth all the time, hard work, and money that you'll have to invest in your education. If you come out a little luke warm or you can't really decide, then maybe you should give up on school. If you decide it really is what you want to do, make an agreement with yourself that this time you will stay in school and complete your degree.

Good luck!

(Please note: These are just my opinions. I'm not an expert.)

Physics_UG said:
Also, I don't have any funding this time around so I will be going deeper in debt (about 30K worth of debt for the year putting me at a total of 60K).

Better read this this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0807042293/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or read discussions of it on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a fellow scientist, I can understand the challenges you are facing in your graduate program. It is not uncommon for students to struggle with the transition from undergraduate to graduate studies, and it seems like you have had a particularly difficult journey so far.

First and foremost, it is important to prioritize your mental health and well-being. It sounds like you have been through a lot in the past few years and it is understandable that you would feel overwhelmed and unsure about your academic path. It may be helpful to seek support from a counselor or mentor to work through these feelings and develop a plan for moving forward.

In terms of your academic challenges, it is important to remember that it is completely normal to struggle with new and advanced concepts in graduate school. It is a time for growth and learning, and it is not uncommon for students to feel like they are in over their heads. However, it is important to communicate with your professors and seek help when needed. They are there to support you and can offer guidance and resources to help you succeed in your courses.

Furthermore, it is important to carefully consider the financial implications of continuing in your graduate program. Going into significant debt for a degree is a big decision, and it is important to weigh the potential benefits against the costs. It may be helpful to speak with a financial advisor or career counselor to explore alternative options, such as internships or industry jobs, that may help you gain experience and potentially reduce your debt burden.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a master's or PhD should be based on your personal goals and interests. It is important to be realistic about your capabilities and consider all factors before making a decision. Remember that there is no shame in changing your academic path or taking a break to reassess your goals. What is most important is finding a path that is fulfilling and sustainable for you.

1. What are the common challenges faced in graduate school for electrical engineering?

Some of the common challenges faced in graduate school for electrical engineering include the overwhelming amount of coursework, the high level of complexity in the subject matter, and the pressure to maintain a high GPA. Additionally, time management and balancing research and coursework can also be challenging.

2. How can I keep up with the fast-paced classes in graduate school for electrical engineering?

To keep up with the fast-paced classes in graduate school for electrical engineering, it is important to stay organized and prioritize your workload. This can include creating a study schedule, taking thorough notes, and seeking help from professors or classmates when needed. Utilizing online resources and attending review sessions can also help in understanding the material.

3. What skills are necessary for success in graduate school for electrical engineering?

In addition to technical skills, success in graduate school for electrical engineering requires strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. It is also important to have good time management and communication skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team. A strong foundation in math and physics is also crucial for understanding advanced electrical engineering concepts.

4. How can I manage the heavy workload in graduate school for electrical engineering?

To manage the heavy workload in graduate school for electrical engineering, it is important to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively. This can include breaking down larger assignments into smaller, more manageable tasks and setting realistic deadlines for each. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance to avoid burnout.

5. What resources are available for graduate students in electrical engineering?

Graduate students in electrical engineering have access to a variety of resources such as research labs, libraries, and academic support services. Many universities also offer career counseling, networking opportunities, and professional development workshops for graduate students. Additionally, there are online resources and forums where students can connect with others in their field and seek help or advice.