Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Memoriam - MLK - 40 yrs ago today

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Robert Kennedy: Delivering News of King's Death
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89365887

I remember both events quite well, and the riots in the summer of 1968.

Remembering MLK's Prophetic 'Mountaintop' Speech
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89326670

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2
    Seems like the bullets in the US are always comming from the same direction and the same group always benefits.

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    The stockholders of the companies that manufacture weapons?

5. Apr 6, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trivia

MLK was partway through writing a speech when he was killed. The speech was titled: Why America may go to Hell.

When MLK was a vocal opponent of the war in Vietnam, the White House was quick to cast him out of its good books. LBJ, unlike RFK, had few good things to say about the man he referred to as "that nigger preacher". MLK was also called a coward by ex-Klansman and current Senate Pro Tempore Bob Byrd (D-WV), who was one of the most determined opponents of JFK's 1964 Civil Rights Act.

6. Apr 6, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are apparently the last words spoken by Dr. King in public. This was the night before he died.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23980325/page/5/

Dr. King appeared on Meet the Press five times, beginning in 1960. The MTP "Take Two" has video excerpts from all five appearances. The link is in upper-right corner of the page linked below. Also, watch for a brief shot of a very young Robert MacNeil - cofounder of the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour, on PBS. He looks like a teenager!

The second half of the regular MTP show is dedicated to Dr. King
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  7. Apr 6, 2008 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

why are we so complacent today in the presence of the horror the bush administration is wreaking on the world?

is it because there is no mlk to tell us to resist this madness? or how to?

i was in montgomery with mlk in 1965, and i remember it too. i risked my life then because the news showed what was being done in selma.

is it because we no longer have free press coverage of war?

why are we puzzled that many people in the world hate us with an abiding hatred and commitment? george bush's and dick cheney's policies are our public face.

if we do not oppose them we are as guilty as the white mississipians in 1965 who sat by while the kkk murdered those who tried to register to vote.

at the least, it is time to go to the polls and throw out the criminals who speak for us and spend our tax monies. better to help register more new voters. there is a chance now to have a new face for america.

mlk is dead, we are not.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  8. Apr 7, 2008 #7
    I feel like with JFK, JRK, MLK, (Lincoln?) It seems that anybody going against the industrial complex or proposing plans that can adversely effect the Haliburtons in this country can expect to be shot in the face. (Why do republicans never get shot?)

All I say is, Obama you better watch your back!

9. Apr 7, 2008 #8

Astronuc

Lincoln was Republican, and Reagan was Republican and both were shot. Lincoln was killed by John Wilkes Booth who apparently had sympathies for the Confederacy. Reagan will shot by a person with mental illness.

10. Apr 7, 2008 #9
  11. Apr 7, 2008 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's worth printing here.

12. Apr 7, 2008 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

His Letter From the Birmingham Jail is moving as well.

13. Apr 7, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Thanks, chemisttree!

My intent was to reflect on the goals and vision that MLK had for the US, not on how he died or the violence that is part of everyday society.

If we do not work for a just and equitable society, with peace and justice for all, then his death and the deaths of all those servicepersons will be in vain. Gift of Freedom comes with a heavy price - we should not squander it.

14. Apr 14, 2008 #13
    [​IMG]

15. Apr 19, 2008 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

in my opinion, barack obama has the potential to become what mlk was to us in the 60's, a leader who can inspire people to do what is right.

of course like mlk, he must somehow overcome the antagonism and hostility of many groups, some claiming to be supporters of democracy, such as the abysmal news moderators who tried hard to turn the latest ABC news debate into a cat fight.

that was the worst display of petty trivial baiting I can recall in an important political debate. Who chose those cretins to run that debate?

16. Apr 19, 2008 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

Add James Garfield to the list of R. assassinations.

17. Apr 19, 2008 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you are missing the point. In those days republicans were the backers of civil rights and democrats were the racists. since the 60's things have reversed, the republicans are sadly now the party of the racists and democrats are the opposite.

so the correct question is: why do racists never get shot?

but we hope they never do, as it will be a serious loss when people of conscience begin to take up violence. as mlk said, " i will NEVER teach you to hate the white man".

you may enjoy the book by taylor branch: parting the waters, america in the king years.

he describes there very clearly how, by a shred of decency, the kennedys are led by mlk gradually, almost kicking and screaming, to support the civil rights movement.

mainly they were persuaded it was good politics, but they fought against it at every step for fear of losing the segregationist vote.

a main obstacle to civil rights were the segregationist judges on the federal bench appointed by kennedy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  18. Apr 19, 2008 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the main obstacle however in the federal government was j edgar hoover, a lunatic power mad nut case, concerned almost entirely with keeping his own power.

his power seems to have derived largely from the fact that all the male actors involved, from the kennedys to mlk, were prone to illicit sexual liaisons that hoover documented by wire taps.

the leverage this information gave him allowed him to use lies and smear tactics to try to discredit mlk and the civil rights leaders.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  19. Apr 19, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't credit the Kennedys for civil rights. Lyndon Johnson did the heavy lifting.

A number of years ago, I heard recordings of Johnson talking in the oval office about civil rights; it was very clear his opinion was straight from the heart. He had a strong moral conviction about it, politics be damned.

20. Apr 20, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a completely opposite opinion on this - Johnson was blatantly racist (see my earlier post in this thread).

21. Apr 20, 2008 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, but Johnson did support civil rights legislation. I think his beliefs defy simple description. See K. Grahams autobio where she describes in detail her relationship w/ Johnson and his story telling abilities. She recites a Johnson tale about a black Texas road gang with a white overseer coming in into Johnson City, Tx:

Pg 237
    I've heard Graham tell that story. Its clear she believed Johnson associated himself w/ the roadgang boss to some degree and used it to differentiate himself from the Kennedy "Northern Liberals" who in his mind weren't willing to do the wrestling required to accomplish civil rights in the south.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?