In QM operators, why [YPz,YPx]=0, [ZPy,ZPy]=0 [X,Py]=0 [Y,Pz]=0, etc

In summary, the quantum mechanical operators [YPz,YPx]=0, [ZPy,ZPy]=0, [X,Py]=0, [Y,Pz]=0, and [Z,Py]=0 all have particular values when measured on certain eigenstates, and their commutator [X Px] = i h can be proven using the mathematical axiom that the p-operator in x-space can be written as - i \hbar \partial/\partial x. The commutator [Y,Px] can also be shown to be zero due to the position operator "Y" only being a function of the y coordinate.
mudyos
in the quantum mechanical operators :
why :
[YPz,YPx]=0
[ZPy,ZPy]=0
[X,Py]=0
[Y,Pz]=0
[Z,Py]=0

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second:
What is the commutator of any operator with itself?

For the last three:
Can you prove that [X Px] = i h ?
Now do the same argument for [X Py].

For the first one:
Reduce it to Y^2 [Pz Px] using that [Y Pz] = [Y Px] = 0 (which you have just proven) and calculate [Pz Px] in the same way.

Last edited:
Can you prove that [X Px] = i h ?

Isn't [X Px] = i h an axiom, CompuChip?

pellman said:
Isn't [X Px] = i h an axiom, CompuChip?

Usually one thinks of this as something that nature implements (through de Broglie's relation). If one accepts it as a mathematical axiom a priori then the question "why?" wouldn't make much sense indeed.

thank

Hmm, yes it is usually taken as an axiom isn't it.
But actually the way I first learned it was: the p-operator in x-space can be written as [tex]- i \hbar \partial/\partial x[/tex]
and from this you can show that (indeed)
[tex][x p_x] f = - i \hbar x \partial f/\partial x + i \hbar \partial/\partial x (x f) = \cdots = i \hbar f[/tex]
and it was this reasoning that I wanted muydos to continue to [X Py] (which would then of course give 0).

[Y,Px] = YPx-PxY
PxY=
[tex]P_x Y f(x) = i \hbar \partial /\partial x Y f(x)[/tex]
[tex]P_x Y f(x) = i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x + i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x)[/tex]
YPx=
[tex]Y P_x f(x) = i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x [/tex]

[Y,Px] = YPx-PxY
[tex]= i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x - i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x - i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) [/tex]

[Y,Px] = [tex] - i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) [/tex]
but
[Y,Px] = 0

[tex]- i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) = ?[/tex] is thes =0 . why?

why [Y,Px] = 0

[Y,Px] = YPx-PxY
PxY=
[tex]P_x Y f(x) = i \hbar \partial /\partial x Y f(x)[/tex]
[tex]P_x Y f(x) = i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x + i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x)[/tex]
YPx=
[tex]Y P_x f(x) = i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x [/tex]

[Y,Px] = YPx-PxY
[tex]= i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x - i \hbar Y \partial f/\partial x - i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) [/tex]

[Y,Px] = [tex] - i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) [/tex]
but
[Y,Px] = 0

[tex]- i \hbar \partial Y/\partial x f(x) = ?[/tex] is thes =0 . why?

dY/dx is zero because this "Y" is a position operator for the y coordinate. In other words, one can think of "Y" as a function of only y, and no other variable. Thus, its derivative with respect to other variable, such as x, is zero.

Zz.

thak you

physically..if certain obsevables commute, there exist states for which they all have particular values..(there exist eigenstate of p_x, y, |p_x`>|y`> having their eigenvalues p_x` and y` respectively..) So a mesurement of p_x, y would give only particular value p_x`, y` respectively..

1. Why do the commutators [YPz,YPx] and [ZPy,ZPy] equal 0?

The commutator of two operators in quantum mechanics represents the order in which they act on a state. When the commutator equals 0, it means that the operators can be applied in either order without changing the result. In the case of [YPz,YPx] and [ZPy,ZPy], this indicates that the momentum operators in the y and z directions are independent of each other.

2. What does the commutator [X,Py] equal 0 mean?

Similar to the first question, when the commutator equals 0, it means that the operators can be applied in any order without changing the result. In this case, it indicates that the position operator and the momentum operator in the y direction are independent of each other.

3. Why does [Y,Pz] equal 0?

As mentioned before, a commutator of 0 indicates that the operators can be applied in any order without changing the result. In this case, it means that the position and momentum operators in the y direction are compatible and can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's values.

4. How do these commutators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that certain pairs of observables, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with perfect precision. The commutators discussed above are related to this principle because they show that the operators for these observables do not commute, meaning that their values cannot be simultaneously determined with complete precision.

5. Are these commutators always equal to 0?

No, these specific commutators are not always equal to 0. It depends on the operators being considered. However, the commutators of certain pairs of operators, such as position and momentum, will always equal 0 due to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.