Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutators of Angular momentum operator

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    The letters next to p and L should be subscripts.
    [Lz, px] = [xpy − ypx, px] = [xpy, px] − [ypx, px] = py[x, px] −0 = i(hbar)py

1.In this calculation, why is [x, px] not 0 even they commute?

2.Why is py put on the left instead of the right in the second last step? i thought it should be put on the right bec it's on the right of x in the third step, and we have to keep the orders for operators.

3.With L=rxp, why are we multiplying i(hbar) instead of multiplying by i/ (hbar), coz at the beginning, we change all the d/dx or d/dy or d/dz to px, py, pz, why aren't we multiplying i/(hbar) to compensate what we change for convenient calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why do you think [itex][x,p_x]=0[/itex]? That should be one of the first things you learned about QM.

Your [itex]p_y[/itex] should be to the right, yes, but inevitably it doesn't matter considering [itex][x,p_x][/itex] is equal to a constant.

As for why you multiply by [itex]i\hbar[/itex], what do you mean "at the beginning"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook