Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to make the connection with QM as a 1 parameter QFT

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    I'm seeing lots of underlying connections between the canonical formulism of QFT and QM. But I'm getting a bit confused by their differences. I'll just write down my thought process:

QM is a one parameter system (t) in a space with three quantized operators (x,y,z)
    QFT is a four parameter system (t,x,y,z) in a space with one/four/four quantized operators (scalar/spinor/vector).

In QM we develop the hamiltonian formalism and treat our one parameter as "special."
    In QFT we develop the hamiltonian formlism and treat one of our four "equal" parameters as special. And I lose sleep at night because of it. Anyways...

In QM we have the S/H pictures where we apply the development of our parameter t to the states/operators.
    In QFT we treat our special parameter with privilege once again and apply the development of t to the states/operators.
    In QFT, I think, but I'm not sure, that the rest of the Schrodingafication/Heisenbergation is assumed throughout and we apply all the rest of the parameter dependence upon the field operators. IE ∂ψ/∂x^i = 0 for all states ψ and i=1,2,3.

I actually think typing this up has cleared up my thoughts well enough, but I'm still inquiring further as I read my textbook. But I can't find anybody that develops these concepts AT ALL. Maybe an obscure mention, but not completely.

Also, I posted this earlier as I wasn't quite as far along in my logical development. I'll just repost it here if anybody has any desire to respond to it.

I'm a little confused in the allocation of t,x,y,z dependence between the states and fields in all the different pictures.

In QM, we had a state ψ and an operator A. In the SP, ψ is a function of t and A isn't. In the HP, A is a function of t and ψ isn't.

In QFT, we have a state ψ and an operator A. But we also give ourselves three new dependent variables for our system to do whatever it wants with; x,y,z. I don't see a reason why we don't have xyzHeisenberg pictures and xyzSchrodinger pictures. Not necessarily saying they would be useful, but their complete lack of mention in P&S, Zee, Srednicki, Zuber etc have me puzzled. Can't we pick between an operator relation of any of these?

A(0)ψ(t,x,y,z) --- A(x,y,z)ψ(t) --- A(t)ψ(x,y,z) --- A(t,x,y,z)ψ(0)

Also, if anybody has a resource that talks about this, I'd like to read it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

rubi

Science Advisor

The difference between QM/QFT is not Newtonian mechanics/special relativity but particles/fields. In relativistic QFT, we don't treat [itex]t[/itex] more special than special relativity itself does. In relativistic QFT, you have a unitary representation of the Poincare group on your Hilbert space, so that all time translations/space translations/boosts/rotations are treated on equal footing. Because this representation is assumed to be strongly continuous, you can write down an infinitesimal version of it. The infinitesimal version of time-translation gives you the Schrödinger equation and you can also switch to the Heisenberg picture, just as in QM.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

The point is that you quantize only fields on the surface (mass shell) k^2=m^2. What you really single out is the k vector normal to that hypersurface, see
    http://www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de/~duo/skripten/schmidt_QFT1.pdf
    I think you can get the same thing using derivatives with respect to proper time (which is a lorentz scalar) but this will again lead you to that constraint and you have to use special methods (Dirac brackets) to take care of it.

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4
    If I remember right, Klauber (http://quantumfieldtheory.info/) spends a lot of time trying to draw parallels between NRQM and QFT as he goes through all the basic derivations. You might give that a shot.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    Thanks, that source has a lot of great alternative derivations.

7. Aug 3, 2013 #6
    NRQM is formally the same as 0+1 dimensional QFT, i.e. QFT in 0 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension. The "fields" of NRQM are the quantities x, y, z.

In QFT you have three approaches:
    (a) Work in the Heisenberg picture of the canonical formulation, in which case fields are operator functions of the spatial coordinates and that evolve with time according to a Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian is built from field operators and their canonically conjugate momenta.

(b) Work in the Schrodinger picture of the canonical formulation, in which a wave functional evolves in time. The wave functional is a state vector which we can think of as a linear combination of all eigenstates of the field operators. The field operators are time-independent.

(c) Do a path integral over the fields, which are functions of 4 coordinates, of exp(iS), where S is a functional of the fields.

Now replace fields with x,y,z and remove all spatial dimension to get the three approaches to NRQM:

(a) Work in the Heisenberg picture of the canonical formulation, in which case x, y, z are operators that evolve with time according to a Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian is built from x, y, z and their canonically conjugate momenta.

(b) Work in the Schrodinger picture of the canonical formulation, in which a wave function evolves in time. The wave function is a state vector which we can think of as a linear combination of all eigenstates of the x, y, and z operators. The x, y, and z operators are time-independent.

(c) Do a path integral over particle paths ##(x(t), y(t), z(t))##, which are functions of the time coordinate, of exp(iS), where S is a functional of the path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook