1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In what direction is the scout's position relative to the campsite?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Okay, the first one I have no clue how to set up or start, so a hunt would be nice. The second one, I figured out (a) but can''t seem to get (b) or (c) and want to know what I'm doing wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A scout walks 5 km due east from camp, then turns left and walks 4.5 km along the arc of a circle centered at the campsite, and finally walks 3 km directly toward the camp.
    (a) How far is the scout from camp at the end of his walk?
    ___ km

(b) In what direction is the scout's position relative to the campsite?
    ___ ° (clockwise from north)

(c) What is the ratio of the final magnitude of the displacement to the total distance walked?
    ___

A particle moves in the xy plane with constant acceleration. At time zero, the particle is at x = 3.0 m, y = 6.0 m, and has velocity v = 1.0 m/s i + 7.0 m/s j. The acceleration is given by the vector a = 9.0 m/s i + -1 m/s j.

What is the velocity vector at t=3.0s
    I got (28 m/s) i+ (4 m/s) j

What is the position vector at t=5.0s

What is the magnitude and direction of the position vector
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: Magnitude

I would start with a diagram!
    For the circle part, you know the distance from camp will be the same everywhere on the circle so that part is easy. You can get the angle through figuring out what part of the full circumference is walked, and take that same part of 360 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook