Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In what medium do light, energy, and matter exist?

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    In what medium do light, energy, and matter exist?

I'm wondering what medium, material, substance do light, energy, and matter exist in. I'm not saying that I neccesarily think there is one, but I am wondering what the theories are in relation to our universe.
    Do these three things exist in a medium like sound travels through air or fish live in water?

Is there actually such a thing as absolute nothing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't know why people get the idea that spacetime must either be a material or "nothing". Spacetime has geometric properties such as distances (intervals), angles, and curvature. It does not have material properties such as velocity or density.

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    Well I figure some people don't know one way or another and might feel the need to ask those who do. I can't speak for people, but that is why I asked.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Fair enough. The point is that you only know what something is by the properties it has. In the case of spacetime it has the properties that I mentioned above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook