1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In wich engineering you use the most physics based on iq and aptitude?

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    I want a career in wich i use a lot of physics, i was thinking in a career as a phycisit but i am afraid that my IQ,its like 110-120 and in the psychometric test i scored in the percentile 84%, so i dont know if you have to have a like a 140 iq or something, and i also live in a 3rd world country so it will be super hard as a physicist. But i love physics and i will like to know in wich engineering you use the most physics.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    Can you explain better what your question actually is? The more details the better.

4. May 3, 2010 #3

ranger

Gold Member

What areas of physics are you interested? Are you interested in international scholarships? Is your school system using IQs and other mental tests to evaluate your eligibility for schooling? Otherwise, you don't need to be obsessed with these scores.

5. May 3, 2010 #4

In wich engineering you see more physics?
    and
    Is IQ really importnat at becoming a good scientist?

6. May 3, 2010 #5
    Well i like to read a lot of quantum, but i really dont know the areas of physics.

7. May 3, 2010 #6

ranger

Gold Member

Quantum? What about quantum have you read? Have you read anything beyond space age novels? What is your background? Your question is very hard to answer because you are not giving direct answers or your responses are ambiguous. Why don't you tell us what your ideal engineering job would be like i.e. analog circuits, propulsion systems, etc. These all have lots physics in them...

And I've never taken an IQ test as a criteria for deciding to become an engineer nor was it a basis for my admissions to college. So like I said before, don't waste your time on these types of tests.

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    Hey =). Well i like sci-fiction, and i love machines, robots and spaceships, maybe my ideal career will be building this ones. And for reading quantum just some scietific divulgation programs and are very interesting, but the ideal career will be building machines, robots and spaceships. In school we only have seen Newton Laws,Work and Energy(I totally love this one), Electric Force.

9. May 4, 2010 #8

ranger

Gold Member

Have you given any thought about aerospace engineering?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_engineering

10. May 4, 2010 #9
    Sounds like MechE or AeroE would be the best for you then, aside from the robots thing. There's plenty of physics in those programs.

Also, if you are considering being an engineer, I would say creativity and ambition will end up being much more important than IQ. You don't have to be a genius to be an engineer.

11. May 4, 2010 #10
    What bout electrical engineering? a lot of math

12. May 5, 2010 #11
  13. May 5, 2010 #12
    Thanks men. Yeah maybe MechE is the way.

14. May 5, 2010 #13
    I think better MechE

15. May 5, 2010 #14
    Day in a life of a MechE?

16. May 8, 2010 #15
    Forget the IQ tests, they tend to be biased anyway (and against third world countries!)The most important thing is to *work hard*. There's a lot of work going on in alternative energy, so why not try that area? Solar engineering if your country has a lot of sun, wind turbines wind, etc... If you fancy this, and it involves mechanical and electrical, why not take a general engineering course and see how it pans out. Note, you don't have to be a genius for many areas of this work, but in some areas it helps - there's lots of room to find your own level...

17. May 8, 2010 #16
    You have the IQ to do any subject you desire.

18. May 16, 2010 #17
    Can you build tanks, wepaons as a mechanical engineer?

19. May 17, 2010 #18
    Are you planning on going to a school in America or where?

20. May 22, 2010 #19
    Yeah ill get good grades in the universitie so i can emigrate as skilled labor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook