1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incline problem with friction; alternative solution

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is an example problem in a text book I'm looking at where they solve a simple incline-mass problem (friction included) using work-energy.

We are given the mass 40kg, the length of the slide is 8 m, the incline is 30 degrees, the coefficient of kinetic friction is .35. We are looking for the child's speed at the bottom of the slide.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] W_{ext}=\Delta E_{mech}+f_k \Delta x [/tex]

Newton's Seconds Law, the basic kinematic equations:

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution in the example is straight forward. The child-slide-earth system has no exterior forces acting so the equation I give above is set to zero.

[tex]0=mg\Delta h +\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2+f_k \Delta x=-mg\Delta x sin(\theta)+\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 +mg\mu_k cos(\theta)\Delta x[/tex]

Plugging in numbers and solving for the final velocity they obtain:
    [tex]v_f \approx 5.6 m/s [/tex]

I am attempting the same problem usuing Newton's second law and kinematic equations, but I am not obtaining a similar answer and I can't discern why not:

In the x-direction, using the usual coordinate system (x - axis parallels to slope of the incline, +x is down the incline), the acceleration should be:

[tex]a_x = gsin(\theta) -g \mu_k cos(\theta) [/tex]

Plugigng in numbers real fast gives:
    [tex]a_x \approx 1.93 m/s^2[/tex]

Now I attempt to use kinematics to find the speed at the bottom of the slide:

[tex]x=\frac{1}{2}a_x t^2 [/tex]

[tex]v_f=a_x t [/tex]

[tex]80m = \frac{1}{2}(1.93 m/s^2)t^2\Rightarrow t\approx 9.11s [/tex]

Using this in the velocity equation along with the acceleration of 1.93 m/s^2 gives about 17.6 m/s for the speed. This is far different than the 5.6 m/s obtained using the energy equations.The numbers I obtained don't pass sanity check either.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In your last equation you've used 80 m as the length of the slide. Wasn't the value only 8 m in the problem statement?

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    You gotta be kidding me. I can't believe I didn't notice that and wasted this much time. I guess I'm kind of relieved that it was my vigilance and not my understanding of physics that failed though. I thought I was going crazy for moment.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted