1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined plane problem help please!

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    If the angle of a frictionless inclined plane 'a' is such that a=wt

where w is angular velocity and a is a function of t
    and an object is sliding down that plane then...
    if m is the mass of the object

m(dv/dt)=mgsin(wt)

solving for v i got

v=(-gcos(wt)/w)

Why is the velocity negative and Why is that when i substitute t=0 v is greater than 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2
    Hello Vatsa
    What is the question asking for?
    Can you please post the complete question , ?

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    Well...i just like solving problems i come up with....

So suppose you have a rotating inclined plane and the angle of inclination is a function of time such that....angle 'x'=angular velocity(w)*time(t)

now mgsin(x) is the horizotal component of g so the body on the frictionless inclined plane experiences a horizontal force=mgsin(x)..let the velocity along the incline plane be v
    where m is the mass of the body
    so...

m(dv/dt)=mgsin(x)

solving for v i got the above result...

my question is that even at t=0 why is there velocity..because at t=0 angle=0 and why is the velocity negative?

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As the slope and mass are rotating about the bottom of the slope isn't there also a Centrifugal force acting up the slope?

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5
    and when you frame the equation , integrate it voila!

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6
    I'm not really sure, but I think you are not using the exact formula, the equation: mgsin(x), is not giving you the velocity, instead, is giving you the potencial energy of the body, that is why with t=0 gives you a value, because, while stopped, the body has potential energy instead of cinectic energy. If you want to find the velocity, you have to do the variation of the mechanichal energy so it will be: Em= Emf-Emi⇔Em= (Ecf+Epf)-(Eci+Epi)⇔Em=Ecf-Emi (because Epf=0 and Eci=0). The value is negative, because g=-9,8m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook