1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined plane problem, weight of subject

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2mric7s.jpg

This man has mass 'm' and the angle of the plane is 'x'. The inclined plane is frictionless. He is standing on a scale which is placed on top of the blue wedge, what weight will the scale measure?

2. Relevant equations

300px-Free_body.svg.png

3. The attempt at a solution

If the man was standing on a regular block, I would say his weight would be equal to

mgcos(x)

But I am confused as to whether standing on a wedge would change things.

Thanks for trying to help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The block is sliding with an acceleration gsin(theta). Find its vertical component. When the block is falling freely, the reaction or reading in scale will be zero. If it is falling vertically with some acceleration, what will be the reaction?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Well, if the man was on a block like the following:

xd9obt.jpg

And that ramp was inclined at angle theta, I would say that the downwards acceleration would be gcos(theta), and so the scale would read mgcos(theta).

But, in the problem from the first post with the blue wedge, the man and the scale are actually standing on a flat surface.

So, in that case, I don't know how to draw the vectors in order to figure out what force is being put on the scale.

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the first case if the block is stationary, the scale will read his weight. Since it is sliding, the new weight will be m(g-a). In non inertial frame, pseudo force is in the opposite direction to the actual force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook