Inclined Planes; Finding Force of Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 275 N box sliding down a frictionless inclined plane at a 30.0 degree angle. The force of friction is not applicable in this scenario and the acceleration along the incline can be determined without using any formula. The individuals involved in the conversation were trying to figure out the force of friction and the normal force, but it was eventually determined that they were not necessary for this problem.
mykoolspam

Homework Statement

A 275 N box is sliding down a frictionless inclined plane. If the incline makes an angle of 30.0 degrees with the horizontal, what is the acceleration along the incline?

I don't need to know how to figure out the solution to this problem - yet, atleast.
Im trying to figure out how to find the Force of friction.
Could anyone help me out on this?

Through my calculations, i have determed:
Fg = 275 N
F[Parallel] = 157.73 N
mass = 28.03 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of friction is defined to be [tex]\mu \mathbf{N}\text{ where } \mu \text{ is the frictional constant and } \mathbf{N}[/tex] is the normal force. But there is of course no friction involved in this problem.

..yeahhhh...okkay?
Im trying to figure it out without that formula..

Hmm, I'm confused as to what you're asking then.

If they say that the surface is frictionless, that means that the frictional force is zero.

Ah crap. i think i might have posted the question above the question i actually needed. But k nvm i figured out the answer :) Thanks anyways guys

No problem at all.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How do you find the force of friction on an inclined plane?

To find the force of friction on an inclined plane, you need to know the weight of the object, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the inclined plane. Then, you can use the formula Ff = μ * mg * cosθ, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors affect the force of friction on an inclined plane?

The force of friction on an inclined plane is affected by the weight of the object, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the inclined plane. Additionally, the roughness or smoothness of the surface and the velocity of the object can also impact the force of friction.

4. How does the force of friction on an inclined plane affect the motion of an object?

The force of friction on an inclined plane acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. This means that it can either slow down or prevent the object from sliding down the incline, or it can decrease the speed of the object as it moves up the incline. The amount of force of friction can also determine whether the object will remain stationary or start moving.

5. Can the force of friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

Yes, the force of friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by decreasing the angle of the incline, using a smoother surface, or reducing the weight of the object. Additionally, using a lubricant can also reduce the force of friction by creating a slippery layer between the object and the surface of the inclined plane.