Including several tex files in one: multiple defined labels

Hi PF!

I have a divided a main.tex into chapters, chapter_1.tex, chapter_2.tex.... Each chapter is included in the main.tex via \include{chapter_1}. Each chapter also references equations. Is there a way to have each of the chapter_1.tex only reference that file's equations, sections, figures? As is, I have multiple defined labels.

Thanks so much!

Answers and Replies

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Why don't you generate the pdf for each chapter separately, and then combine them into one file? This would be better than including all those chapters into the main .tex file. Adobe online, for instance, allows you to combine files for free.

DrClaude
Mentor
Why not simply change the labels? Each file/chapter could have its own label prefix to make sure there can be no multiply defined labels (it is easy to perform a search and replace in each file to include those prefixes).

Likes joshmccraney, Orodruin, pasmith and 2 others
pasmith
Homework Helper
Why don't you generate the pdf for each chapter separately, and then combine them into one file? This would be better than including all those chapters into the main .tex file. Adobe online, for instance, allows you to combine files for free.

That breaks things if one chapter makes references to the content of another, or you have page references, or you want to generate a single bibliography for the entire work.

Likes Wrichik Basu, joshmccraney and FactChecker
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The sad and somewhat dry truth is to not use the same label several times in different files if you want to compile them together. Making references between the files is a feature and this requires unique lables. I suggest going with #3.

Likes joshmccraney
Thanks everyone. I'll just rename the equations. Wasn't sure if there was a package available that made this simple, but this is still very easy.