Incomplete math classification on this forum

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
In summary, I think the current forum structure is incomplete and does not reflect the way people learn math.
I agree. But what about knot theory? Simplicial complexes and buildings? Has Euclidean geometry topological aspects?
I fix the main difference in the word "meter". One doesn't need to measure in topology and on the other hand, what is geometry without angles and lengths? They both meet in algebra and group theory as well as in differential geometry, but there are vast fields aside of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Or just 2:44

(I know it's not the original, but I loved her hair ... and the memories.)

I hope she loved you just as much!

Spinnor said:
I hope she loved you just as much!
Even I got to love fresh_42 a little, in spite of those instances where he is cearly wrong because he disagrees with me. Therefore, I am quite sure that he (still) makes Mrs. Harris blush.

Likes Spinnor
My experience is that most of the mathematics questions are elementary and often repeated. Given that, I no longer believe that it matters much how questions are classified. A general forum called Mathematics would do. Often questions are in the wrong forum anyway.

One problem may be that many people asking questions are Physics students. They often ask their math questions in one of the Physics forums. One might separate out a forum called "Mathematical Questions in Physics."

Many of the mathematical questions in the Physics forums are answered by Physics students whose knowledge of the mathematics is limited by their restricted attention to Physics. I have seen this in the Quantum Mechanics forum. Diverting some of these questions to mathematics students could be very helpful to the physics students. Or maybe the math guys should just answer more Physics questions.

Last edited: