Inconsequence in Lawrence Krauss lecture

• Thread starter Gloyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lecture
In summary, Krauss says in one universe model, the universe would expand slower and slower but would never quite stop expanding, while in another model, energy of the vacuum would cause accelerating expansion of the universe. However, these models are not consistent with each other.
Gloyn
Hi!

I just found that vide on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veU6hK3jMH4&feature=watch-vrec

And something is not quite ok for me. In ~1:00 Krauss says, that in flat universe model universe would expand slower and slower but would never quite stop expanding. On the other hand, in last 4 minutes he says that energy of the vacuum would would cause accelerating expansion of the universe (which is a feature of open universe, like he says in the begining), which is flat at the same moment. How is that consistent?

Space news on Phys.org
Early in the video, Krauss talks about universes for which dark energy/cosmological constant is zero. In this case, a "flat universe model universe would expand slower and slower but would never quite stop expanding."

Later in the video, Krauss talks about universes for which dark energy/cosmological constant is non-zero. In this case, at late times, a flat universe has "accelerating expansion".

Thanks for answering my question!

Ok, I get this one now, even though I think that he should do some clear remark on that.

Now i come up with another question. Maybe it's lame, but it's bothering me a bit. There is a 'deal' between physicists, that graviataional potential at infinite distance is zero. Let us consider the Universe that is ever expanding without a limit. At some point, if we wait for an infinite period of time, all lumps of mater would be at infinite distances from each other. Therefore overall negative energy of gravitational interaction would 'leak out' of the Universe. How is that?

Inserting infinities into the mix is a good way to get invalid results.

I mentioned the infinity, but in fact if there is an overall expansion and in general things are getting further and further from each other then energy of gravitational interaction is decreasing even in finite distances. If Univerese was made of three big lumps and the distance between them was increasing, then overall energy of sustem of those three lumps of mater would be decreasing, wouldn't it? I'm aware of the fact that locally sometimes density increases, but all in all Universe becomes less dense if it's meant to expand. So how about it, even without the infinities?

What is inconsequence in Lawrence Krauss lecture?

Inconsequence refers to the lack of logical or causal connection between different parts of a lecture or argument. In the context of a lecture by Lawrence Krauss, it may refer to disjointed or unsupported statements or ideas.

How does inconsequence affect the credibility of a lecture?

Inconsequence can significantly impact the credibility of a lecture by suggesting a lack of coherence or critical thinking on the part of the speaker. It may also lead to confusion and skepticism among the audience.

What are some examples of inconsequence in Lawrence Krauss' lectures?

Examples of inconsequence in Lawrence Krauss' lectures may include contradictory statements, unsupported claims, or irrelevant tangents that do not contribute to the overall argument or topic.

How can one spot inconsequence in a lecture?

Inconsequence can be spotted by critically examining the logical flow and supporting evidence of a lecture. It can also be identified by paying attention to discrepancies or lack of coherence in the speaker's arguments and statements.

What are some techniques for avoiding inconsequence in a lecture?

To avoid inconsequence in a lecture, one should thoroughly research and organize their arguments, provide evidence and logical connections between ideas, and stay focused on the main topic. It is also important to anticipate potential counterarguments and address them in the lecture.