Increasing object exposure time under UVC when rotated?

In summary, according to the interviewee, the following applies to the use of UVC to sanitize:-The current method of sanitizing using a single turn of the UVC lamp takes approximately 4 hours per side. -A rotating platform would allow for a one minute rotation period, which would increase the sanitizing time to 10-15 minutes per side. -The interviewee is concerned about the potential for exposure time to be longer with a rotating platform.
joniverson
I use UVC to sanitize. However, since I sometimes use HID lights, when it comes time to flip over or change the angle of objects and the light is deactivated, there is a 10-15 min cooldown period before the light will reignite. I have been thinking of using a rotating platform that would have a one minute rotation period for any object placed on top of it. I've normally been using 15 min per side before manually changing object orientation or flipping, but since the rotation would now be continuous and automatic, how would this affect exposure time? Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
We need help:
1. have you have tested/verified the outcomes of sanitizing using your current single turn method method? How do you test?
2. what shape (cylindrical or whatever) objects has the old method worked on?
3. can we assume the UVC lamp "works" in an enclosed space, and the walls of the space are able to reflect UVC effectively?

Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

Basically, I want to know the information regarding the formula:

UV dose μWs/cm2 = UV intensity μW/cm2 × exposure time (seconds)

Currently, for a non-rotating square object, it takes 15 minutes per side to attain the necessary 2,500 μW·s/cm2.

Now, if the object is automatically rotated, and takes one minute to complete a rotation, how does this effect dose? What about the fact that no side of the object is under the light constantly... is a constant UV exposure needed, or can individual dosages be added to achieve the required total?

Thanks again.

Thanks that helps.
The UV dose is the product of UV intensity (expressed as energy per unit surface area) and residence time.
So, this means that for a flat surface (like a box) the angle of incidence changes and reduces the energy per surface are large.

So the answer depends item shape, but in most cases I can think of I would say yes, definitely a lot longer. This is why I asked about testing.

Take a box - the DNI (direct normal irradiance, fancy term for beam intensity) is usually given for a 90° angle of incidence. Rotation takes the item surfaces out of 90° for most of the time. I do not trust myself to work out times calculations for you. Without sterility testing for certification available, the calculation could have bad results.

And I do not know of a reference, offhand. But I'll bet @Dale and @Choppy do have better background than I do.

And as a guess, your times will work out to be greater than your current 4*15 minutes + 4*10 minutes, but I don't know for sure.

joniverson said:
since I sometimes use HID lights, when it comes time to flip over or change the angle of objects and the light is deactivated, there is a 10-15 min cooldown period before the light will reignite. I have been thinking of using a rotating platform that would have a one minute rotation period for any object placed on top of it. I've normally been using 15 min per side before manually changing object orientation or flipping
I guess I don't understand the setup very well (maybe post a couple pictures?), but can't you just temporarily cover the light(s) while you flip the object? Or wear enough protection so that you don't need to turn off the lights to do the flipping?

Likes Tom.G and jim mcnamara
Due to lack of available information, I have decided against a rotating platform and will use extra illumination for the shadow sides. Thanks again to those who replied.

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman

1. How does rotating an object under UVC light increase its exposure time?

Rotating an object under UVC light allows for more surface area of the object to be exposed to the light. This increases the amount of time the object is exposed to the UVC light, leading to a more thorough disinfection process.

2. What is the optimal rotation speed for increasing object exposure time under UVC?

The optimal rotation speed for increasing object exposure time under UVC depends on the size and shape of the object. Generally, a rotation speed of 10-20 rotations per minute is recommended for most objects.

3. Can rotating an object under UVC cause any damage to the object?

In most cases, rotating an object under UVC will not cause any damage to the object. However, it is important to consider the material of the object and the intensity of the UVC light. Some materials may be more sensitive to UVC light and could potentially be damaged if exposed for too long.

4. How does increasing object exposure time under UVC affect the disinfection process?

Increasing object exposure time under UVC can greatly improve the effectiveness of the disinfection process. The longer an object is exposed to UVC light, the more bacteria and viruses will be killed, resulting in a more thorough disinfection.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when increasing object exposure time under UVC?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with UVC light. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and making sure the UVC light is properly contained to avoid exposure to skin and eyes. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for the specific UVC light being used.