Increasing the number of Questions on the exams and the effects of it

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of increasing the number of questions on an exam and how it relates to the curve-grade system. The topic of educational outcomes and the role of professors in creating exams is also mentioned. The idea of using multiple-choice questions and free-response questions to test different skills is brought up, as well as the potential for multiple-choice questions to be seen as trick questions. The importance of good distractors in multiple-choice questions is also mentioned, as well as the difficulty of writing good multiple-choice tests. The conversation concludes with the example of a high school chemistry teacher who was able to create challenging exams but faced criticism for it.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
One of our classes in the Uni, we have only 3 questions in the exam and we have a curve-grade system. I wonder increasing the question number would have any affects on the curve or etc. Is there any study on this topic ?

Science news on Phys.org
If you have more questions, don't you need more time?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you have more questions, don't you need more time?
Well yes

And where is that time going to come from?

Hi Arman, this is a good question. Professors in research intensive universities are not hired due to their abilities to educate others. In my experience they generally don't consider what skills they want their students to demonstrate beyond "doing the problem". You can see how V-50 doesn't see beyond this either.

In high school curricula and for standardized tests, there are lists of standards that breakdown the skills. It's not so difficult to test many complex skills with multiple choice question and free response questions. For example, just check out the AP Physics exams.

A good teacher could take your 3 questions and make a test of many questions by turning the steps into skill checks. You could also keep one question whole to differentiate between students that have the skills and those students that can use those skills together unprompted.

Dr_Nate said:
You can see how V-50 doesn't see beyond this either.

I think that's unfair.

I didn't say anything about who R1s should be hiring or that R1s don't consider educational outcomes. I did say that if you want to have (e.g.) a three-hour test in a class that meets for one hour, you need to figure out how this would work.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think that's unfair.

I didn't say anything about who R1s should be hiring or that R1s don't consider educational outcomes. I did say that if you want to have (e.g.) a three-hour test in a class that meets for one hour, you need to figure out how this would work.

I meant that sentence to only refer to your questions about time. My perception from your questions was that you didn't see how they could keep the same exam time and get in more questions. My apologies in any case if I misrepresented what you were saying.

Dr_Nate said:
My perception from your questions was that you didn't see how they could keep the same exam time and get in more questions.

Yes, that's correct. But it has nothing to do with R1's. If it takes an hour for a student to do three problems, it takes two for the student to do six. Where does this hour come from? (And the answer I am pointing to is "it will have to come out of instruction")

Last edited:
Dr_Nate said:
A good teacher could take your 3 questions and make a test of many questions by turning the steps into skill checks.
But that also changes the nature of the test. It might be acceptable at the high school level to expect students to only have to identify the right formula to use and plug the numbers into see which multiple-choice answer is correct, but at the college level, most instructors likely expect students to achieve a higher level of understanding. Being able to execute the steps is less important than being able to determine the steps needed to solve the problem.

vela said:
But that also changes the nature of the test. It might be acceptable at the high school level to expect students to only have to identify the right formula to use and plug the numbers into see which multiple-choice answer is correct, but at the college level, most instructors likely expect students to achieve a higher level of understanding.

Multiple choice question can be more powerful than testing plug-and-chug skills. But the utility of MC questions is that they can rapidly test many skills quickly. One should augment that with free-response questions to make sure they can bring it all together.

Check out the AP Physics test on pages 18 - 39 in this pdf to see how much material it is possible to test: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-physics-c-mechanics-practice-exam-2012.pdf

I emphasize the word possible because I don't think it's practical for a university professor to achieve this level. The college board has an army of people creating these tests. I suggest these tests could serve to inspire us to make better tests.

vela said:
Being able to execute the steps is less important than being able to determine the steps needed to solve the problem.

I would agree that sometimes the steps are much less important. For example, why make a student chug through manipulating a series of trig identities or vector identities if that isn't the focus of the class? They could make a simple mistake and not make progress on the part on the problem. Moreover, that time could be better spent testing on the actual focus of the class.

If being able to determine the steps needed is more important, then we could ask students to simply outline a solution. Much time would be saved on the exam that now can be used to test other skills.

Writing multiple choice tests is hard. The hard part is writing good distractors:

Choose the best answer:
How tall am I?
A. 2 feet
B. 4 feet
C. 6 feet
D. 8 feet
E. 10 feet

Even without having met me, most people will get the right answer. (98% of the US male population is between 5 and 7 feet tall.)

The more information required in answering a multiple-choice test, the more likely it will be regarded as a trick question by the students, and the more likely the more legalistically-minded of them will be pounding on the department head's door.

I had a high school chemistry teacher write some excellent tests. You walked out knowing more than you went in with. But they were hard, and this made her unpopular. I doubt she would be able to teach this way today. One kind of question is she would give two statements, I and II, and the choices were:

A. I and II are true and I causes II
B. I and II are true and II causes I
C. I and II are true and neither causes the other
D. I is true and II is false
E. II is true and I is false
F. Both are false

Likes Dr_Nate

1. How does increasing the number of questions on exams affect students' performance?

Increasing the number of questions on exams can have both positive and negative effects on students' performance. On one hand, it can help students demonstrate a deeper understanding of the material and provide a more comprehensive evaluation of their knowledge. On the other hand, it can also increase students' stress and anxiety levels, leading to a decline in performance.

2. What is the ideal number of questions to have on an exam?

There is no one answer to this question as the ideal number of questions can vary depending on the subject, difficulty level, and time constraints. Generally, a well-designed exam should have enough questions to accurately assess students' understanding without overwhelming them. It is important to strike a balance between the quantity and quality of questions.

3. Does increasing the number of questions make exams more fair?

In theory, increasing the number of questions can make exams more fair as it provides a more comprehensive evaluation of students' knowledge. However, it is important to ensure that the questions are equally distributed across different topics and levels of difficulty to avoid bias towards certain students or topics.

4. How can increasing the number of questions affect the grading process?

Increasing the number of questions can make the grading process more time-consuming and complex, especially for larger classes. It may also require more graders or a longer grading period. Additionally, having more questions can also increase the likelihood of grading errors, which can affect students' final grades.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when deciding to increase the number of questions on exams?

Yes, there are several other factors to consider, such as the level of difficulty of the questions, the time allotted for the exam, and the type of questions (e.g. multiple-choice, short-answer, essay). It is also important to communicate the changes to students beforehand and provide them with adequate preparation and study materials.