Indefinite Integral Formula

In summary: The "dx" gets replaced by (1/a)du. And, of course, we can pull the (1/a) out of the integral since it is a constant.In summary, there is no general formula for calculating \int u^n dx where u is a function of x and n is a positive rational number. The chain rule can be applied in reverse, but only in certain cases where du/dx is a constant or when u is linear.
Izzhov
There is a simple formula for calculating [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n [/tex] where u is a function of x and n is a positive rational number: [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n = nu^{n-1} \ast \frac{du}{dx} [/tex]. Is there a similar formula for calculating [tex] \int u^n dx [/tex] where u is a function of x and n is a positive rational number? It would be extremely helpful if there was.

P.S. I realize that the formula for [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n [/tex] can be derived using the chain rule, so I was wondering if maybe the chain rule can somehow be applied in reverse for this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Izzhov said:
There is a simple formula for calculating [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n [/tex] where u is a function of x and n is a positive rational number: [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n = nu^{n-1} \ast \frac{du}{dx} [/tex]. Is there a similar formula for calculating [tex] \int u^n dx [/tex] where u is a function of x and n is a positive rational number? It would be extremely helpful if there was.

P.S. I realize that the formula for [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} u^n [/tex] can be derived using the chain rule, so I was wondering if maybe the chain rule can somehow be applied in reverse for this problem?

Actually that "f(x)" should not be there. In the Leibniz notation the differentiation operator is simply [itex] \frac{d}{dx} [/itex].

As for the question itself, there's no general method for computing [itex] \int u^{n}(x) {} dx [/itex] for arbitrary "u(x)". In most cases, one can't find the antiderivative in terms of elemetary functions, even though "u(x)" may be elementary.

The "reverse" of the chain rule is basically integration by substitution. The problem is that when differentiating, using the chain rule, we are free to multiply by du/dx no matter what it is. When integrating, using substitution, that du/dx must already be in the integral- unless it is a constant, we can't just "put it in".

[tex]\int u^n \frac{du}{dx}dx= \int u^n du= \frac{1}{n+1}u^{n+1}[/tex]
But that "du/dx" must already be in the integral.

The one exception to that is, as I said, when du/dx is a constant- when u is linear.
[tex]\int (ax+b)^n dx= \frac{1}{a(n+1)}(ax+b)^{n+1}[/tex]
By letting u= ax+ b so that du= a dx and dx= (1/a)du.

What is the formula for indefinite integral?

The formula for indefinite integral is ∫f(x) dx = F(x) + C, where f(x) is the integrand, F(x) is the antiderivative, and C is the constant of integration.

What is the purpose of indefinite integral?

The purpose of indefinite integral is to find the antiderivative of a given function. It allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in solving various problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

How do I solve indefinite integrals?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify the integrand and the variable of integration.

2. Apply the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule to the integrand, if necessary.

3. Integrate each term of the resulting expression separately.

4. Add any constant of integration, if applicable.

What are some common indefinite integral formulas?

Some common indefinite integral formulas include:

- ∫x^n dx = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C

- ∫e^x dx = e^x + C

- ∫sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C

- ∫cos(x) dx = sin(x) + C

- ∫1/x dx = ln|x| + C

Can indefinite integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, indefinite integrals can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration (C) can have any value, and therefore, there can be infinitely many antiderivatives of a given function.