Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indian engineer claims the nobel process is flawed

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Not sure if it belongs here, if not then please move it.

So basically an indian engineer is nominated for a nobel prize, and doesn't get it. He http://news.indiainfo.com/2003/07/07/07nri.html [Broken] claiming the process is flawed. Any merit to this, or is he just being a sore loser? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    why did he keep quiet for 10 years?

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    I think the Nobel Prize process is flawed, but not neccesarily for the same reasons. Of course, it is not our call to make is it.

5. May 26, 2010 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

Get a better link please

6. May 26, 2010 #5
  7. May 26, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

Obama got a nobel prize, remember that? Enough said.

8. May 26, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Any time a decision is based on people voting you are going to have an element of bias.

9. May 26, 2010 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So did kissenger!

Remember the nobel PEACE prize has no connection to the Nobel prizes other than the same family fronting the money.

10. May 26, 2010 #9
    It's pro-wrestling for intelectuals.

11. May 26, 2010 #10
    To me, Al Gore's Nobel PEACE Prize looks the most weird.

What does global warming have to do with world peace?

12. May 26, 2010 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

I agree Kissinger shouldn't have gotten it. He played both the Rockefeller and Nixon fields and really gambled with people's lives, but at least he had the actual audacity to be nominated to highest posts of power. He may have been responsible for the space race USA and USSR had. In any event the Nobel peace prize is a joke - it seems they did not give it to Ghandi and now they only give it to those who obtain power by wit instead of force.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  13. May 26, 2010 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's all part of neo-con teabagger conspiracy.
    By automatically giving the nobel prize to failed democrats it demonstrates that the Nobel prize and therefore the UN (same letter) are part of a plot by the stone cutters to destroy democracy and install a world government of crab-people.

ps. I might have got the details wrong - I was channel surfing.

pps. At least the Americans are going to start drinking tea again, hopefully that will calm them all down a bit. I think a lot of the problems of the last half century can be blamed on excessive coffee consumption.

14. May 26, 2010 #13

alxm

Science Advisor

Well first: He doesn't know whether he was nominated. At most, somebody qualified to nominate may have told him they nominated him (breaching confidentiality), but there's few ways he can actually know that. The records are sealed for 50 years and the confidentiality rules are quite clearly specified on a paper accompanying the nomination forms sent out every year.
    (I'll just mention that unnecessary detail to show that I might have a bit of insight here..)

In any case, the proof is in the pudding: If the Nobel committees got it wrong a lot, the Nobel prizes simply wouldn't have the status they do. It isn't that big a cash prize (and during some periods, it was a quite meager sum). But with that status, it's inevitable you'll have a bunch of sore losers, as well as people trying to influence the process (which has kept its integrity quite well if you ask me).

Finally, even if you do consider the process to be flawed, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. Nobel's will was quite specific in its instructions, and as executors of it, they're legally bound to follow it to the letter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. May 26, 2010 #14

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A list of most popular articles from the site where this was published:
    I'm not saying this necessarily discredits it, but...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook