Induced Emf circular loop of wire

In summary, a circular loop of wire with a changing magnetic field passing through it can still produce an emf even though the magnetic field is not physically touching the wire. This is a concept that is acceptable mathematically, but the mechanism behind it is still unclear. In comparison, gravity is a special force that also traverses a distance, but cannot be shielded out like magnetic fields. If we were able to manipulate gravity, it would have a huge impact on civilization.
Gear300
A circular loop of wire has a changing magnetic field running through it...however, the magnetic field is not touching the wire; its contained so that it simply runs through the loop without touching the wire. Apparently, there is still an emf through the wire even though the magnetic field is not touching it. Its acceptable when looking at the mathematical equations, but how does it conceptually work: the magnetic field is not even touching the wire, but its still producing an emf. How does that happen??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear, i wonder how do you feel about gravity force. it traverses across a distance also. in fact the other two kind of forces can traverse a distance too... this is an interesting question that i am afraid i have no answer. perhaps it is a part of our space-time fabric? :smile:

...interesting point. But still...gravity is a special force...and by what I know now, I've sort of assumed that to receive magnetic influence one should be in contact with the magnetic field, and if you're not in contact you'd be external to the field...or is the situation I presented not even possible and I'm sort of confusing things?

i also wonder. some threads before have raised questions about magnetic shielding using a surrounding conductor. i think magnetic field can be shielded out in this way, and the process consume energy. but for gravitational field, we have no luck in doing that. that i cannot tell why. if gravity field could be shielded out similarly, our life would be changed dramatically! we won't need jet engine for our flight any longer! :smile:

true, true...gravity is a mysterious force, but if we could manipulate it, that would be a huge leap in civilization.

What is induced emf in a circular loop of wire?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage created in a circular loop of wire when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. This voltage is induced due to the motion of the loop through the magnetic field, and can cause a current to flow through the wire.

How is induced emf calculated in a circular loop of wire?

The induced emf in a circular loop of wire can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. It can be expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced emf, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced emf in a circular loop of wire?

The magnitude of induced emf in a circular loop of wire depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the loop through the field, the size and shape of the loop, and the number of turns in the loop. Additionally, the orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field can also affect the magnitude of induced emf.

What is Lenz's law and how does it relate to induced emf in a circular loop of wire?

Lenz's law states that the direction of induced emf in a circuit is always such that it opposes the change that caused it. In the case of a circular loop of wire, this means that the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the external magnetic field. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

What are some applications of induced emf in circular loops of wire?

Induced emf in circular loops of wire has a wide range of applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in various sensors, such as inductive proximity sensors and magnetic field sensors. Additionally, induced emf is the basis for many modern technologies, such as wireless charging and electromagnetic levitation.