1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction for polynomial/sequence proof

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let k be a natural number, and r a real number with |r|<1. Prove (by induction on k) that for any polynomial P of degree k, there is a polynomial Q of degree k with Q(n+1)r^(n+1) - Q(n)r^n = P(n)r^n
    Hint: consider differences of successive terms for (n^k)(r^n) and use the inductive hypothesis

3. The attempt at a solution

Base case: degree 0

a_0 r^n = b_0 r^(n+1) - b_0 r^n

Is it ok to just rearrange this, and find b_0 in terms of a_n, r^n etc..

a_0/(r-1) = b_0

So for some polynomial of degree 0 I can always find another using the fact that b_0 = a_0/(r-1). However, when I try to do this with higher degrees, I get the coefficients in terms of n which means that the polynomial depends on what n is which means I'm not proving I can find one that satisfies for all n. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, are you trying to prove? That, for a given polynomial, P, and a given specific number, r, there is a polynomial, Q, such that Q(n+1)r^(n+1) - Q(n)r^n = P(n)r^n? But what does "Q(n+1)" mean? The polynomial, Q(x), evaluated at x= n+ 1? Yes, if P is a constant, P(x)= a_0 for all x, then we have Q(1)r- Q(0)= P(0). But Q now does not have to be a constant. Either Q(1)= (P(0)+ Q(0))/r or Q(1)= 0 and Q(0)= -P(0).

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    Just wondering, why did you evaluate the Q(n+1) - Q(n) at n=1? I dont see how this helps. The base case is degree k = 0 which is constant polynomials... rather than n = 0. Am I missing something here?

Also, Q must be a constant polynomial also because it must be the same degree as P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook