Induction Heater Design: Resources & Tips from Jeff

In summary, Jeff is trying to come up with an induction heater design for a machine that he is working on. He has scoured Google for information, but is unsure how to get started. He has a 1500W induction heater that he uses at home, but is interested in learning more about higher power heating. He purchased a cheapo ZVS circuit heater on Amazon that he is not happy with. He would like to heat a small steel pin to around 600F in a few seconds for a process the machine will perform.
jeff davis
TL;DR Summary
I am wanting to to build myself an induction heater for a machine and am looking for some tips.
Hello;

I am trying to come up with an induction heater design for a machine that i am working on and am having some trouble planning it out.

Anybody have some good resources? I have scoured Google and there are tons on there. I am a bit unsure how to get started. I have an induction heater here that is 1500W and does a nice job. I did not build it; it is a commercial product.

I also purchased a cheapo on amazon that heats stuff up but is very slow going. and only heats small things. I think it is a ZVS circuit from what i have read. Is this type of circuit different from an industrial products circuit?

I would like to heat a small steel pin about 1.5" long and .250" diameter to around 600F in a few seconds for a process the machine will perform. The build of the heater is more for my own curiosity more than anything else. I don't understand the pieces in enough detail and would like to learn.

Thanks to anyone with the patience
jeff

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don’t think this is a job for an amateur who has performed research but still “doesn’t understand the pieces”—you’re liable to hurt yourself or someone else. Hire an expert or buy commercial.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Nothing personal. PF has a priority on safety.

Likes russ_watters
A number of posts and replies have been deleted from this thread, and it is temporaily locked for Moderation.

@jeff davis -- Please send me a PM with your background information on your skills and history designing and building AC Mains based equipment like this so we can hopefully help you out. Concerns were rightfully raised that it may not be a safe project for you to pursue, but it could also be true that you do have the background and skills to do this project safely.

Thank you.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is an induction heater?

An induction heater is a device that uses electromagnetic induction to heat a conductive material, such as metal. It works by creating a high-frequency electromagnetic field that induces eddy currents in the material, causing it to heat up.

2. How does an induction heater work?

An induction heater works by using a high-frequency alternating current (AC) to create an electromagnetic field. This field induces eddy currents in a conductive material, causing it to heat up due to resistance. The heat is generated within the material itself, rather than through direct contact with a heating element.

3. What are the benefits of using an induction heater?

There are several benefits to using an induction heater. These include fast and precise heating, energy efficiency, and the ability to heat only the desired area of a material without affecting the rest. Induction heaters also do not produce open flames or emit harmful fumes, making them safer to use in certain environments.

4. What factors should be considered when designing an induction heater?

When designing an induction heater, it is important to consider factors such as the frequency and power of the electromagnetic field, the material being heated, and the size and shape of the heating coil. It is also important to consider safety measures, such as proper grounding and shielding to prevent electromagnetic interference.

5. Are there any resources available for designing an induction heater?

Yes, there are many resources available for designing an induction heater. Jeff's website, where he shares tips and resources for induction heater design, is a great place to start. There are also books, articles, and online forums that discuss induction heater design and offer helpful tips and advice.